« The Raconteurs Coming to Seatt... | The Raveonettes @ Neumo's »

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

DJ Mountain Purse: Cornukopia

posted by on March 18 at 11:41 AM

Cornucopia_Border.jpgTacoma, WA: In a grocery store, near the apples. A conversation is had.

Man 1: “So what kind of music do you all play?”
Man 2: “You know, it’s like that pimp-rap and soul.”

Man 1: “Like Ice T?”
Man 2: “Yeah, sort of. We go a little smoother.”

A CD is given to Man 1.

Man 1: “Oh yeah, I’ll check it, do you all have any shows coming up?”
Man 2: “Track 3 is the gangster. Look for us.”

I walk over and say hello. I pay $5 for a CD, select a Fuji, and ask what kind of music they play. Man 2’s name is DJ Mountain Purse. He tells me they are gangster, not pimp-rap and soul. They are called Cornukopia. Mountain Purse says they are a performance act.

The CD has no cover art. The disc is light blue and the Sharpie text is red. Track listing reads:

Cornukopia

1. Call of the Ho
2. Call of the Gucci
3. Judge Don’t Know Shit
4. Slice

By Wolf 1 & DJ Mountain Purse

There is no website, no Myspace, and I can’t find anything online about them at all. It’s a home recording, and sounds like MC Hammer. They took some of their beats and samples from the Sanford and Son theme song, which are distorted and great. It’s unmastered, but all in all, I like it.

Track 3 is indeed the cut. Lyrics are: “You don’t understand me cause you don’t understand me / You’re too busy putting that shit on your face. Yeah you ugly / Yeah you ugly. Judge don’t know shit.”

I realize, it’s tricky to be gangster. To be truly gangster, that is. Especially for a skinny white guy from Tacoma like DJ Mountain Purse. “Call of the Ho” is bold. But is it too bold? It’s effective, but is it real?

Larry? Matson?

The cornucopia is a symbol of food and abundance dating back to 5th century BC. It’s also known as the Horn of Plenty. In Greek mythology, Amalthea raised Zeus on the milk of a goat. In return Zeus gave Amalthea the goat’s horn. It had the power to give to the person who held it whatever he or she wished for.

I wish for DJ Mountain Purse to become truly gangster. Look for him.

well he's from the Tac so he's already got a leg up on gangsterism. But the name "Mountain Purse" instantly puts him far, far outside the precepts of the G Code. It's the sort of name that makes me think Spank Rock or Aaron LaCrate could take this dude's shoes. The sort of moniker that makes me bet my man Mickey Avalon could beat 3 shades of piss out of this guy. In other words, I think you got bopped for your fiver.

For pimp-rap, there's only one name: Suga Free. Accept no substitutes.

Posted by lar | March 18, 2008 12:31 PM

I just tried to kill myself while reading this.

Posted by Mr. Poe | March 18, 2008 1:24 PM

How about you don't understand me trying to be Gangster cause I'm white and I'm from Tacoma. Those are two pretty big strikes against ever being able to be gangster.

The Sanford and Son does ad some possible charm.

I give this a Call of the No.

Posted by MC Tingle | March 18, 2008 2:22 PM

and Call of the Gucci? Please.

Mr. Poe, save me some of the razor.

Posted by MC Tingle | March 18, 2008 2:24 PM

i really want to hear 'call of the ho'. somehow i imagine an instructional, trap-hunting step-by-step. you can buy a ho-call at rei or something, right?

Posted by cosby | March 18, 2008 2:50 PM

The dude is obviously misguided. As you travel from smaller city to smaller city around this great land of ours, you see how the bad side of rap can take hold as far as role models NOT to follow.

However, I think it is a thin like between smart or effective gangster-ism and being stupid. Objectively, being gangster may come off stupid yes. Being a pimp, prostituting women, glorifying that lifestyle may not be the smartest way of life or honorable.

But ask someone who runs in the game for real and they'll give you whole different take. They got brains, they got motivation. They got hustle. It may not be how you want to live. And they don't care.

Now as for playing pimp and branding your rap music with that motif? I'd say, yeah, it's tough to pull that off and be white from Tacoma, WA. But there are times, when dudes pull off the sham and make bank from it. When that happens I do think it takes some smarts.

Posted by JeffO | March 18, 2008 3:43 PM

I agree with the other commentors about "Call of the Gucci". He needs to have a call of something else, if he's going to be real deal.

Posted by JeffO | March 18, 2008 3:44 PM

Any other type of music I'd be all for Mountain Purse's doing well. But any time the word 'ho' comes up, I'm done. I don't care how Dirty Ol Bastard you are.

I say too bold. Too stupid.

Mountain Purse, we here in Seattle have this nice clean rap outfit called Blue Scholars. I've signed you up for a class. Report to David Meinert for your rap cleanse.

Posted by Anna | March 18, 2008 3:58 PM

no, trent: it's tricky to rock a rhyme that's right on time.

i don't know about this wild mountain purse, but the name is funny and so are the song titles. you win, mountain man: i care to know about you.

being gangster is more of an "all-in" "don't give a fuck" thing, and for that, locally, i listen to fatal lucciauno. he is of the kool g rap school, meaning you come for the gangster realness and stay for the punchlines:

"play with my moolah and act a fool/
get slapped by the ruler: catholic school"

"i specialize in botox photography/
you get it? headshots"

Posted by ndrwmtsn | March 18, 2008 5:05 PM

speaking of mickey avalon, the best song he was ever on was the "he's the man, with gun in hand" track off barfly's candy's album. been bangin that today.

Posted by ndrwmtsn | March 18, 2008 5:07 PM

#6:
thanks, i'm fucking crying with laughter right now.

you guys are the biggity bizomb!

Posted by lar | March 18, 2008 5:08 PM

sorry i meant #8

Posted by lar | March 18, 2008 5:09 PM

I have had a couple hours to think about it. I have to say, I haven't stopped laughing about "Call of the Gucci". Now I think it's brilliant.

The "ho" talk has to go though, DJ MP.

Posted by Anna | March 18, 2008 5:37 PM

I am beside myself with dissappointment in the human race. This column makes me want to barf, and I'm going to right now. I ought to stop sharing now and just fucking throw up.

Posted by WOLF BLITZER: SPECIAL REPORT | March 18, 2008 5:38 PM

So Mr. Blitzer, what you are saying is that you aren't gangster?

Posted by Anna | March 18, 2008 5:40 PM

I've had the Call of the Gucci all day.

Posted by B | March 18, 2008 7:00 PM