« Tonight in Music: Macklemore, ... | Today's Music News »

Friday, March 28, 2008

KEXP to Broadcast Pitchfork Music Festival

posted by on March 28 at 11:48 AM

Getting tired of seeing all these announcements for great festivals you can’t afford to go see? KEXP has got your back. They’re bringing their crew to Chicago this summer to broadcast live from the Pitchfork Music Festival. Here’s the lineup so far:

Friday, July 18: Pitchfork Music Festival and All Tomorrow’s Parties present “Don’t Look Back”

Public Enemy performing It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
Mission of Burma performing Vs.
+ one more to be announced

Saturday, July 19:

Dirty Projectors
Cut Copy
Extra Golden
El Guincho
Fuck Buttons
+ many more!

John Richards and Cheryl Waters will be doing shows live from the festival on Saturday and Sunday.

the team of broadcast censors will have to be on their shit for the 'nation of millions' performance.

...and all of the off color banter between songs.

Posted by cosby | March 28, 2008 11:56 AM

I'm pretty sure that "team of broadcast censors" is just one person standing next to a dump button. I'm sure they will be on their toes, though.

Posted by Levislade | March 28, 2008 12:23 PM

I'm sure it will be a lot of talk and chatter over the performances as they are happening. Last thing I would ever want is Cheryl Waters talking over a performance of Public Enemy or Jarvis Cocker.

Posted by Biggie J | March 28, 2008 12:42 PM

@3 - why would you think that? I don't think I've ever heard (or heard of) anyone talking over a live performance broadcast on KEXP. That is a very strange thing to say.

Posted by Levislade | March 28, 2008 1:24 PM

I don't know if there's been anything on Line Out about it, but I noticed that Live Nation has a new festival with Tom Petty, Coldplay and a lot of the Sasquatch act that in Pemberton (25 miles north of Whistler) in July.

Tickets were on sale today, but it looks like you can only buy 3 day tickets. I know it's Canada, but it seems weird.

Posted by left coast | March 28, 2008 1:52 PM

@ 5 - I was on it.

Posted by Jeff Kirby | March 28, 2008 2:01 PM

@#4. I wish I knew. Do you think they will broadcast the live sets of those performing or will it be more of were here this is what's going on.

Posted by Biggie J | March 28, 2008 2:08 PM

@7 - I don't know the details, but they would not go there if they weren't going to be broadcasting at least some live performances.

Oh, wait! Here's what an official station e-mail says: "We're happy to announce that KEXP will be partnering with the Pitchfork Music Festival to broadcast from Chicago! On the days leading up to the festival, KEXP will broadcast from a location within the city and host a series of live in-studios with bands from Chicago and beyond. Then, on the weekend, KEXP will air select live performances from the Pitchfork Music Festival, while John Richards and Cheryl Waters spin live shows from the festival grounds."

There you have it.

Posted by Levislade | March 28, 2008 2:14 PM

Posted by zxcbzcb | March 28, 2008 2:58 PM

burma doing vs is pretty filth

Posted by lar | March 28, 2008 3:16 PM

Sorry Kirby, I was on vac, can you really only buy 3 day passes? Pemberton is actually closer than George, and the camping/jane situation has to muy gusto.

Posted by left coast | March 28, 2008 4:18 PM

kexp huh? ugh, can the dump button guy work the entire yawn in the morning and cheryl wah wah show and dump all of their insipid commentary/babble.

Posted by o. Sano | March 31, 2008 11:40 AM