« Young Ones Showcase This Thurs... | "Awesome" at the Tractor »

Monday, March 3, 2008

Mon Amie La Tex

posted by on March 3 at 10:57 AM

Dreams are a language of symbols and associations. Everyone has their own set of symbols and unique language in which they dream. Identifying these symbols and defining that language can tap you deeply into your subconscious. (Previous Line Out dream session – here.)

A drummer in a metal band told me a dream after his show this weekend. In the dream, French singer Francoise Hardy rescued him on an island after a surfing accident. He had fallen off his board while trying to ride a mammoth wave and the reef cut up his skin with its coral knives. Hardy dragged him from the water, took him in, cleaned his wounds, and nursed him back to health. She sang for him and her angelic voice healed the gashes.

This drummer is a gnarly, smelly, man of a man. He plays a double kick drum and his metal band’s music approaches what you might call orc rock or death metal. Texas Chainsaw Massacre is his favorite movie. He was perplexed and uncomfortable with how strongly he resonated with the beauty of Hardy’s voice so he asked to remain anonymous. We spoke. I’ll call him ‘Tex’:

So you were surfing in the dream? Do you surf?
Tex: No but my creativity comes in waves.

Do you listen to much Francoise Hardy? Do you like her music?
My mom was always playing her stuff on the stereo when I was growing up so I guess I think of my Mom when I think of Francoise Hardy. Her music brings back my childhood and I feel safe, or something. Yeah, I like the music but none of my friends know it.

What are the dynamics in your band? Who writes your songs?
It’s been frustrating lately because I have all these song ideas, but the singer and guitar player don’t ever want to work on them. You could say I’m creatively frustrated.

Let us loosely analyze:
With the wave as creativity, the surfing accident in the dream makes sense. Tex fell off a wave and was hurt. Similarly, he is hurt by not being allowed to be part of the creative process in his band. He falls off his wave. Francoise Hardy, who represents mothering and nurturing, is there to take Tex in and make him feel better. Tex desires and needs this nurturing, and is sometimes afraid to admit it.

And now, here’s Francoise singing “Mon Amie la Rose”, just for Tex. Love her as she heals you:

Francoise had me with "Le Premier Bonheur du Jour".
I didn't think anyone else had dreams about her.

Posted by Nathan | March 3, 2008 1:07 PM

Holy balls she is hot. I can't get over it. Love at first YouTube.

Posted by Holy Balls | March 3, 2008 1:14 PM

Trent just gained 2 hipster points for posting a Francoise Hardy clip.

Posted by Biggie J | March 3, 2008 1:34 PM

I love this story. And kinda hate Francoise Hardy for being talented AND beautiful. You should get only one.

Posted by Kate | March 3, 2008 1:37 PM

Les coups de tête d'Upclose dans les vidéos sont une épée bordée double.

Translation

Upclose head shots in videos are a double edged sword.

For this video it works, but I have seen many that scare me.

I wish I had cool ass dreams like that one where French singers heal my wounds with their magical songs. My dreams are usually stress related. Like the time I was working on installing a recording console and I dreamed of a wire landscape that I was looking over and it never ended. I had that dream for a month if I remember, maybe a little more or less.

No French singers for me. Just gear and wire. maybe a nightmare/falling dream thrown in for fun.

Posted by drheavy | March 3, 2008 2:18 PM

Dr. Heavy,

A wire landscape forever and ever. Nice. Were the people wire? For some reason it makes me think of a flea circus.

What kind of console was it?

Posted by trent moorman | March 3, 2008 4:02 PM

The console was an SSL that used to reside at Stepping Stone Studios, I don't know what became of it. At the time we installed a few studios around Seattle, and my memory isn't what it used to be, so the dream might have come on more than one occasion, but I know I had it when we worked that install.

Posted by drheavy | March 3, 2008 5:01 PM

Dr. Heavy,

You make rad lyrics:

"No people just wires. Roly poly wires, that went on forever. No fleas just wires, might look more like a pile of snakes."

Hell yeah.

Posted by trent moorman | March 3, 2008 6:08 PM

I only write good lyrics if I'm not trying to. Your right though I think "snake wire" might be the next metal concept album I write. An homage to Snake Plissken from "Escape to New York", crossed with High on Fire and 2112.

Posted by drheavy | March 3, 2008 7:06 PM