« Tonight in Music: Tiny Vipers | Old Gem: Shoplifting @ Conwork... »

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My Morning Poll: Band of Foxes

posted by on March 12 at 10:06 AM

I received a note from someone complaining that Fleet Foxes sound too much like My Morning Jacket. I guess I can hear similarities in the vocals yes, and maybe some of the sound. But too similar? I don’t know. Who’s to say? What’s a similarity to one, may be homage and natural coincidence to another. One thing I do know is that Robin Pecknold has a beautiful and opulent voice. So does Band of Horses singer Ben Bridwell. “St. Augustine” sprouts chills every time. So:

Who sounds more like My Morning Jacket?

Do Fleet Foxes sound like My Morning Jacket?

Do Band of Horses sound like My Morning Jacket?

Who’s voice do you like best?

If I can chime in here, the comparison is funny to me as I HATE southern rock (and most "rockin" rock music) and it's variants and in my head I thought we were doing something more composed and thoughtful then just a testosterone rock-out thing but maybe I was wrong. Or maybe reverb on the vocals (which to me sounds 60s) is now in the ownership of those two southern gentlemen which i wish Phil would've told me.

I dunno, it's a bummer to be compared to bands you don't really dig. If I'm totally delusional, and we do in fact sound exactly like those bands, then it stands to reason that I don't really dig my OWN band which makes the next 6 - 8 months of touring commitments a bitter pill to swallow! Shit.

By the way, Mat Brooke wrote St. Augustine and I totally love that jam.

Posted by Pecknold | March 12, 2008 11:15 AM

Hey Robin. I voted for you!

Wait, you even hate Allman Bros?

Be safe out there.

Posted by trent moorman | March 12, 2008 11:21 AM

They all sound like Neil Young to me.

Posted by Fnarf | March 12, 2008 1:03 PM

these comparisons were stupid back when you wrote that stupid, stupid article about BoH and MMJ (probably the stupidest music article i've ever read), and they're still stupid now.

one would think a "real" music writer could find something to write about other than very superficial similarities.

Posted by bing | March 12, 2008 1:08 PM

Are BoH or MMJ "southern rock"? I thought it was "college rock". It's basically just the Cure with a little bit of twang, ain't it?

Posted by Ricky Lancelotti | March 12, 2008 1:46 PM

I can't think of a more pointless way to spend time than trying to figure out which band sounds the most like some other band. Oh wait, yes I can. Replying to a blog on the subject is far more pointless. oh shit.

Posted by eric w. | March 12, 2008 2:03 PM

@6
...so i guess replying to a reply would be even more pointless then?

dumbass.

Posted by bing | March 12, 2008 2:09 PM

what a fucking waist of everyone's time. Stop being a music writer and get a job working at a record store writing little notes for clueless people who would actually listen to your mindless comparisons.

Posted by blogsuckballs | March 12, 2008 2:15 PM

Robin you sound kinda like Bill Withers. Whats is a "My Morning Jacket"?

Posted by nipper | March 12, 2008 2:26 PM

Band of Horses are ripping off Great Lake Swimmers more then anyone else

Posted by Nat Cur Vag | March 12, 2008 3:18 PM

Uh oh, it's 'bing' talking about "real" music writers again.

'bing', you saying you think something is stupid is about as valid as a piece of shit saying that something smells bad.

I loved that BoH - MMJ piece. Have you ever heard of humor, 'bing'? Or sarcasm? Gosh you sound like a prick.

#8) "What a fucking 'waist' of everyone's time"...

Hmmm, it's blog #8, you're on a blog. But you're not wasting time right? No you are so fucking perfect and smart and fucking appalled that someone would have some fun with one of these stupid polls. Fuck you.

Looks like you could spend more of your valuable time learning how to spell, you asshole.

Posted by Anna | March 12, 2008 3:41 PM

'anna' i've heard of both 'humor' and 'sarcasm'...still waiting for moorman to successfully attempt either of them.

Posted by bing | March 12, 2008 3:51 PM

Molly Hatchet and Lynerd Skynerd are the only true southern gents, the rest can sail away to Margaritaville with Jimmy Buffett.

Posted by bobcat | March 12, 2008 3:54 PM

No bing, you haven't. You're a Nazi.

Ok, so you think Moorman is lame and he is a terrible writer. We get that. And you are pissed off about it. So much so that you're in here duking it out on his blog poll with your perfect sense of what is good and bad.

Have you read any of the other writers on this blog or in this town? Or do you just read Trent's stuff, because it's so bad?

Are you a Grandy stenciler too?

Posted by Anna | March 12, 2008 4:05 PM

Neil Young is the god

Posted by Neil Young rules | March 12, 2008 4:12 PM

anna@14

meh.

i read the blog. sometimes i post comments.

so, you know, obviously i'm a nazi.

Posted by bing | March 12, 2008 5:04 PM

Actually 'bing' is what we technically call a 'troll'. Showing up in comments with nothing to say except that whatever they are commenting on is bad.

In this case, 'bing' trolls Trent's posts.

Reasons for this are usually jealousy or frustration with the trappings of their own life.

Posted by Troll Administrator | March 12, 2008 5:32 PM

I don't think 'bing' is a troll. I just don't think 'bing' likes me. And that hurts my feelings.

Posted by trent moorman | March 12, 2008 6:18 PM

Let's see...

Band of Horses are wanna-be country rockers. And don' we have enough of those already????

My Morning Jacket sound like U2 with a little twang/southern rock thrown in for good measure.

Fleet Foxes rock, but I've only heard one song...

Now how did Tim Harrington get involved in this?

Posted by Hal | March 12, 2008 9:44 PM

Band of Horses = checkers
My Morning Jacket = chess

Posted by E | March 12, 2008 10:48 PM

@20: that is brilliant! Only I'd say

Band of Horses = checkers
My Morning Jacket = checkers

(Not to say they sound the same, but they're both a tad "lightweight", can we agree on that?)

But I love the chess/checkers!

Posted by Larm Nardtardler | March 13, 2008 8:53 AM