Line Out: Music & Nightlife

RSS icon Comments on SXSW For The Sober Guy

Glad to see Harvey Milk killed it. I think I'm responsible for many of the listens on their myspace profile, can't wait to see them live (someday?).

Any band named after a gay activist can't be bad!

Posted by Ari Spool | March 18, 2008 2:01 PM

Helms Alee own.

Posted by dan | March 18, 2008 3:06 PM

Have you checked out the Obits, Rick Froberg's new band? Same garagey American R'n'R influences that informed Hot Snakes, but drawn out in more rambling traditional songs.

Posted by christopher hong | March 18, 2008 4:41 PM

Tera Melos are my new religion

Posted by sydney | March 18, 2008 9:26 PM

The part I disagree with: Chiodos is not and should never be considered screamo, the screamo you talk of is a generalized, watered-down version that the media no doubt took under its wing to re-sell to teens who try their hardest to be an outcast in order to be trendy.

You're a musician in 2, now three very prominent bands along the punk/hardcore/whatever scene, and I'm sure you know this and should never be given a lesson by a 17 year old who's had far less musical experiance: screamo belongs to the DIY/off-the-marker underground punk hardcore bands. I talk about: Ampere, Saetia, Orchid, Comadre, Portraits of Past, Pg.99, City of Caterpillar, Off Minor, The Fiction, Joshua Fit For Battle, La Quiete, Louise Cypher, Jeromes Dream, Yabe, Yaphet Kotto, you get my drift, i'm sure...

Posted by Ryan Cutler | March 18, 2008 9:45 PM

the term has pretty much been co-opted into meaning something entirely different at this point, and i really can't feel too defensive about it when "screamo" is as silly of a genre tag now as it was in its late-90's/early-00's heyday. same thing with emo...from what i can gather, no self-respecting band ever really wanted to be called that. so i really don't care anymore that emo no longer means moss icon, the way i did when i was twenty. and don't even get me started on people calling bands like pg.99 "skram" now that screamo means something different.

Posted by matt | March 18, 2008 10:08 PM

ya, and i love how many camera phone videos of chiodos are on youtube already with descriptions of "sooooo f*** aaaaamazing!!@1!1"

ps: look at the spelling corrections for 'chiodos'

Posted by texas | March 19, 2008 12:09 AM

@5
i'm certainly willing to entertain the argument that "screamo" is not the best choice of a genre description for Chiodos. however, that willingness stems from my admission that i've never heard a single note of their music, not from any desire to maintain the sanctity of term. that word has always seemed to me like an invention of the larger music media. throughout the mid to late nineties, the bands you've mentioned were simply described as "hardcore" within my social circles. if further descriptions were needed to differentiate the many sounds that fell under that umbrella, there were always sub-classifications: crust, grind, sxe, emo, power-violence, anarcho-punk, post-hardcore, etc.. emo seemed to be nearly as broad of a term, used to describe everything from Antioch Arrow to early Promise Ring. but if you were getting distributed by Ebullition and reviewed in HeartattaCk, you were simply a hardcore band.

i don't think i ever heard the term "screamo" until At The Drive In was getting press in mainstream magazines. perhaps it was being used in other cities or other scenes, but i never heard anyone in Seattle describe Behead The Prophet, The November Group, or Vade as "screamo," though all three bands share some of the musical attributes associated with the word.

Truth be told, i struggled to think of the proper moniker for bands like Chiodos and their ilk. perhaps screamo isn't the most accurate designation, but then what is? something has to differentiate bands like Underoath, Hawthorne Heights, and Taking Back Sunday from bands like Reversal of Man, Torches To Rome, and Lincoln. the ideological gap is enormous, and even the sonic differences are quite striking. "screamo" was never mine anyway; let them keep it.

Posted by brian cook | March 19, 2008 9:40 AM

I actually enjoyed Black Mountain in the blazing hot sun on the top level of a parking garage. Of course, I was not being shy about helping myself to the free Dewar's either, so that probably makes the difference between your experience and mine.

Posted by JJ Hellgate | March 19, 2008 10:59 AM