« A Conversation in a Song | Father of Mine »

Monday, March 3, 2008

The Best Six Minutes of My Weekend…

posted by on March 3 at 13:45 PM

photo by Morgan Keuler

Was probably the two songs I caught of the Pleasureboaters at Healthy Times on Friday night. These guys fucking kill, on a serious Arab On Radar/Chinese Stars tipódiscordant punk noise bursting into loose disco grooves, Ricky Claudon wailing psychopathic, kids and band members flailing and rolling around on the floor. Their debut CD, Gross, is out on a little label called Don’t Stop Believin’. It’s good, but it has nothing on the Pleasureboaters’ live showóI wish I could’ve stayed for their whole set. Go see this band in a basement while you still can.

whoaaa who took that photo?

Posted by paula | March 3, 2008 2:10 PM

Morgan Keuler. Isn't it awesome? He took a bunch of great shots at the show. You can see more here: http://lineout.thestranger.com/2008/03/the_pharmacys_cd_release_party_at_health

Posted by Megan Seling | March 3, 2008 2:18 PM

does that guy have a flickr or something?

Posted by zgjdxk | March 3, 2008 2:55 PM

Welcome to the party, Eric!

Posted by Ari Spool | March 3, 2008 3:11 PM

@3 I don't know about a Flickr (Morgan, care to take that one?) but he does have a website with more photos: http://www.morgankeuler.net.

Be sure to spell Keuler right. I always put the u before the e. I'm a jerk.

Posted by Megan Seling | March 3, 2008 3:20 PM

are you high? really?

Posted by "Lee" | March 3, 2008 3:48 PM

Lee, it's 4 o'clock on a major deadline day, so yeah...why, you wanna party?

Posted by Eric Grandy | March 3, 2008 3:56 PM

I agree with everything Grandy said--but I was lucky enough to see their whole set so it was the best 25 minutes of my weekend. Especially the end when the crowd stole the microphone from Ricky and started singing the song for him. It was fucking amazing.

Also, I think I got a contact high when I was hanging out with a bunch of rastafarians in Belize once. Does that count?

Posted by Megan Seling | March 3, 2008 4:00 PM

@1 & 3/5 - Thank you kindly. Sorry, no flickr yet, will get one up soon. That main website is quite old and will hopefully be re-done soon too.

Posted by MK | March 3, 2008 4:14 PM

no I just don't get this band. and you're comparisons to AOR/Chinese Stars are a pretty huge stretch. maybe because they use a lot of hi-hat and have annoying vocals? last time I saw them I finally got the comparisons to a Birthday Party/Gang of Four/Nirvana(or something equally raw) but only just. I guess the show looked entertaining, but can't we kinda put this whole genre to rest for a few years instead of heaping praise upon bands that will continue to perpetuate it?

yes, I'm a total fucking hater too, so no need to point that out.

Posted by "Lee" | March 3, 2008 4:26 PM

Re: putting that whole genre to rest, I think (part of) the appeal of the Pleasureboaters is that Seattle never produced a credible entry into that whole disco/punk thing during its peak. Instead, as usual, our stab at it comes a couple years later. But whatever the trendiness/currency of their hi-hat, I think the Pleasureboaters are, as the kids say, "tits."

Posted by Eric Grandy | March 3, 2008 4:35 PM

Oh, except for Display, but they kind of imploded just as they were getting really good.

Posted by Eric Grandy | March 3, 2008 4:36 PM

@12 So glad you mentioned Display. My favorite Display memory was when Jeremy, the singer (his name was Jeremy, right?) stood on stage and brushed his teeth while his guitar just kept spitting out feedback.

What a weirdo.

Posted by Megan Seling | March 3, 2008 4:40 PM

Lee's just angry because...wait...Lee's always angry! Pleasureboaters are stupid fresh and until you see them live, you have no idea what's going on. It's never boring, and I don't really think it sounds that much like that disco/punk thing of a few years ago, other than the high hat you speak of. It's much more discordant, and it's a lot more intelligent. This is disco-punk filtered through a mesh of nihilism, disillusionment, and shirtless drummers.

Posted by Ari Spool | March 3, 2008 4:40 PM

"Mesh of shirtless drummers" aside (guh), Ari, some of the best disco'punk stuff of a few years back was discordant as hell (hence, Chinese Stars as touchstone here). Smart too. By the time it got dumb and glossy, shit was done.

Posted by Eric Grandy | March 3, 2008 4:47 PM

Ari, did you miss the part where I said "last time I saw them", which would mean I've seen them MULTIPLE TIMES?

and no, I don't think that just because Seattle didn't have a disco punk band 4 or 5 years ago (wait, what about Kiss Kiss and California Casual/Der Trasch?) that we need one now. was it necessary for Seattle to have their own Nu-Metal band?

Posted by "Lee" | March 3, 2008 5:11 PM

No offense to Darren, Keenan, et al if they're reading this, but I said "a credible entry," "Lee." And I never said anything about "need" or "necessary," though I assure you Seattle got its nu-metal bands.

Posted by Eric Grandy | March 3, 2008 5:19 PM

touche.

Posted by "Lee" | March 3, 2008 5:21 PM

I would dare to argue that Seattle could have used it's own quinessential Numetal band.

Posted by Casey Catherwood | March 3, 2008 10:02 PM

Wasn't The Rapture from Seattle originally? And shit- Seattle DOES have it's own quintessential numetal band:

Posted by Ben | March 4, 2008 9:31 AM

Cather, Rorschach Test were the quintessential Seattle nu-metal band. I read about them a lot in Kerrang magazine in 7th grade.

Posted by Ian Judd | March 4, 2008 11:19 AM