« Also Tonight: Presidents of th... | Tonight in Music: Leslie & the... »

Monday, March 10, 2008

The Thermals Need a New Drummer

posted by on March 10 at 21:44 PM

Lorin Coleman has left the Thermals, says singer Hutch Harris via the band’s MySpace blog:

The split has been totally amicable, with no hard feelings on either end. Lorin has simply left The Thermals to pursue other endeavors, one of which is playing in the band Andy Combs and the Moth. Lorin played hundreds of shows and recorded a bunch of sessions with us over the past two years. He is a fantastic drummer and a good friend. We would like to thank him immensely, and wish him well in whatever comes next for him. THANK YOU LORIN!

As for Kathy and I, we have just about finished writing a new record, and are almost done with some demos. Hope to post some here soon, watch for it! I think Kathy and I will be splitting drum duties on this next record, and possibly every one that follows it. We are not exactly auditioning drummers yet, but if you live in Portland and are just fucking amazing on the drums, feel free to drop us a line. Please don’t expect a speedy response.

Now, here’s the band’s video for “Pillar of Salt” from The Body the Blood the Machine. It’s good. Watch it.

WHy

Posted by Quin&tonic | March 11, 2008 1:54 AM

Why do bands suck these days?
I was embarassed to play this out loud for fear of my room mates hassling me. This song was absolutely horrible. The singer looks and sounds like a prepubescent teen and the music video had little artistic value. A total waste of three minutes of my life.
Who cares if there drummer is leaving. Lets look at the bigger picture here. Is this NW rock? it sounds like Dylan trying his hand at emo.
THe thermals should get some better music taste before they get a new drummer.

Posted by gudmuzak | March 11, 2008 2:01 AM

i beg to differ; i think the thermals are without question the best working pop-punk band around these days, and it makes me extremely proud that they're from the northwest.

with that said: goddamn, these guys go through drummers like spinal tap.

Posted by douglas martin | March 11, 2008 2:44 AM

Might I suggest a drum machine. For that cutting edge EDGE.

Posted by Biggie J | March 11, 2008 7:36 AM

I'm admittedly biased, but may I nominate Jackson Long, late of Racetrack and Paxil Rose, most recently in Boat? Dude would slay the drums in that band.

Or Nat Damn.

Posted by tallchris | March 11, 2008 12:46 PM

gudmuzak, maybe you can give us some examples of bands you like to give us some context?

Posted by bob | March 11, 2008 12:53 PM

I totally agree with Tall Chris.

Posted by keenan | March 11, 2008 2:15 PM

I second Tall Chris on the Jackson Long front. (I am also incredibly biased.)

Posted by keenan | March 11, 2008 2:16 PM