« A Holiday Delayed by a Storm | Tonight in Music: Elf Power »

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

2008 Capitol Hill Block Party Line-Up: Vampire Weekend, Les Savy Fav, the Hold Steady, Girl Talk, Chromeo, and More!

posted by on April 15 at 0:00 AM

The Hands
Velella Velella
The Physics
Man Plus
Little Party And Bad Business

blockpartypics.JPG

Over 30 more bands and DJs will be announced in the upcoming weeks.

Tickets for the Block Party go on sale Friday, April 18, at 10 am. The Block Party continues to be one of the least expensive festivals in the country, with tickets only $18 in advance and a 2 day pass for only $34.

Special presale starts Tuesday, April 15, at 10 am. Password is BLOCKPARTY.

Click to buy advance tickets for Friday.
Click to buy advance tickets for Saturday.
Click to buy a two-day pass.

For More Info: www.thestranger.com/blockparty.

The full press release is after the jump.

The 2008 Capitol Hill Block Party

Already Confirmed! Vampire Weekend, Les Savy Fav, The Hold Steady, Girl Talk, Chromeo, Kimya Dawson, The Dodos, U.S.E., Jay Reatard, Darker My Love, Akimbo & more!!

July 25 & July 26th, 2008 Seattle, WA

“Seattle’s biggest plunge into pop culture…The Capitol Hill Block Party is the rock-music community’s most prestigious showcase.” - The Seattle Times

“The Capitol Hill Block Party is a huge, two-day explosion of bands and a great opportunity to see the most exciting new music from the best music scene in the country all while supporting great non-profit programs like The Vera Project and Home Alive.” - The Stranger

“This ain’t no burnt-wiener-and-potato-salad kind of block party. No, this one is more like a sweaty, boozy, scaled-down version of Sasquatch, only during the dog days of summer and right in our own backyard…. The Block Party has grown from an endearing street fair to a monster takeover of the now hotter than ever corridor of Pike between 12th Ave all the way down to Broadway.” Seattle Weekly

Also Confirmed: The Hands, Pwrfl Power, The Builders And The Butchers, Velella Velella, Past Lives, Black Eyes And Neckties, The Physics, Man Plus, Little Party and Bad Business, Champagne Champagne with over 30 more bands and DJ’s to be announced!

The 2008 Capitol Hill Block Party takes over Seattle’s South Capitol Hill neighborhood July 25-26 with it’s best lineup yet. The Capitol Hill Block Party is an annual music festival that draws upon and showcases the best indie and underground rock in the US, with a special focus on its Northwest artists. Launched 11 years ago, the Block Party has evolved into one of Seattle’s most anticipated outdoor music festivals. With over 50 bands on 4 stages, great food, and plenty of cheap beer, this is one of the best parties of the summer.

John Richards -KEXP Morning Show Host exclaims, “The Block Party has become the place that people go to discover any band worth discovering in Seattle. With an added push towards better up and coming and some established alternative and independent bands in the mix, its truly a great experience for anyone who attends. Its also has become the one event that really brings the Seattle music industry together, albeit in the VIP section and somewhat intoxicated.”

We have partnered with KEXP to broadcast selected live performances from several bands throughout the weekend. John Richards and Cheryl Waters and other KEXP DJ’s will also be broadcasting their shows like from the festival Friday and Saturday day and night. And The crazies at The Stranger will also be filming and posting clips at their awesome music blog www.lineout.thestranger.com.

Partial proceeds from The Block Party benefit two excellent non-profits: Home Alive, which encourages violence prevention, and The Vera Project, a youth run all ages venue and recording studio in Seattle.

Tickets for The Block Party go on sale Friday April 18,10:00am. The Block Party continues to be one of the least expensive festivals in the country, with tickets only $18 in advance and a 2 day pass for only $34.

For Advance Tickets Click Here For The Friday Show: http://ev12.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventInfo?ticketCode=GS:TWS:WNEU08:WNEU0725:&linkID=twspok

For Advance Tickets Click Here The Saturday Show: http://ev12.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventInfo?ticketCode=GS:TWS:WNEU08:WNEU0726:&linkID=twspok

For 2 day Discounted Pass Click here: http://ev12.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventInfo?ticketCode=GS:TWS:WNEU08:WNEU0725C:&linkID=twspok

Special Presale Starts Tuesday April 15, 10:00am. Password is BLOCKPARTY

The Physics
Man Plus
Little Party And Bad Business
Plus many more!!!

For More Info: http://www.thestranger.com/blockparty

Block Party partners include The Stranger and 90.3 KEXP & KEXP.org

In association with Miller Brewing, 107.7 The End, SEIU, The Washington Bus, and Café Vita

I have already had more fun at this event than I have at anything I've attended in the past five years...

...and it doesn't actually take place for months.

Posted by pgreyy | April 15, 2008 1:28 AM

From the Block Party Big Shot Strangercrombie winner, I couldn't be more pleased with that line up.

Posted by Andy | April 15, 2008 7:20 AM

I just audibly gasped. My day has been made.

Posted by Les Savy Fuck Yeah! | April 15, 2008 7:25 AM

This is going to be so fucking rad!

Posted by Eric Grandy | April 15, 2008 7:52 AM

Way to go and spell Vellela Vellela incorrectly, geniuses!

Posted by dick-tionary | April 15, 2008 8:04 AM

The Hold Steady sucks.

But ... DARKER MY LOVE! Awesome. LES SAVY FAV! Awesome. GIRL TALK! AWESOME!

Posted by bill | April 15, 2008 8:19 AM

This is a great lineup -- I had so much fun at last year's Block Party, with the exception of the interminably long Spoon set, and I'm looking forward to this year!! Street food for all. Congrats to The Physics, those guys deserve good things.

Posted by Katelyn | April 15, 2008 8:23 AM

Velella Velella is how it's spelled.

Posted by Velella Velella | April 15, 2008 8:23 AM

YAWN

Posted by bobcat | April 15, 2008 8:37 AM

Dang, talk about a block Partaaay! U.S.E., Hold Steady, Velella Velella, Chromeo. Hot damn, this gonna be goood! In my mind right now I am already drunk at the beer garden getting a sunburn.

Posted by jerry falls well | April 15, 2008 8:49 AM

I'm looking forward to getting upper back sweat while dancing to Chromeo and U.S.E.

Posted by merko | April 15, 2008 8:58 AM

Posted by merko | April 15, 2008 8:58 AM

Sorry for the double post.

Posted by merko | April 15, 2008 9:00 AM

Holy shit, I love Surprise guest! They're gonna rock my face off!

Posted by Yes! | April 15, 2008 9:22 AM

I seem to be in the minority, but this looks significantly less exciting than last year's lineup. Still, I'm holding out hope, since Common Market and Kay Kay are now listed on the Block Party page.

Posted by T | April 15, 2008 9:48 AM

make sure the cops are around for this year's girl talk riots.

that'll be a fun weekend.

Posted by donte | April 15, 2008 9:49 AM

Um, it's Builders and the Butchers. I think you've got it backwards there.

Posted by Alicia | April 15, 2008 9:53 AM

$45.50 for the 2 day pass with fees, etc.

Posted by Presale | April 15, 2008 10:11 AM

STOKED

Posted by JB | April 15, 2008 10:12 AM

We apologize for a couple inconsistancies (sorry Velella Velella).
In a rush to get the stranger some basic info, they received a partial press release that was not properly proofed. Our mistake. BUT, keep your eyes peeled for updated info, new announcements etc etc.

Thanks for the positive response. Lots of other great stuff to be announced.

CHBP

Posted by CHBP | April 15, 2008 10:19 AM

Upcoming announcements will include: Partman Parthorse, Coconut Coolouts, Dutchess and the Duke, Moondoggies, the Girls, the Intelligence, the Shackles.

Posted by Chirp | April 15, 2008 10:26 AM

WHY is USE, Pwrfl Power, Akimbo and Black Eye's and Neckties OPENING for VAMPIRE WEEKEND.

KEXP is selling out Seattle to pre-fabricated "independent" machine. Shame on you Stranger for going along with it.

Don't be surprised when Panic at the Disco is confirmed as the surprise special guest.

Posted by Pat | April 15, 2008 11:44 AM

A little birdy told me the suprise guest is the Halo Benders.

Posted by Chirp | April 15, 2008 11:57 AM

Chromeo!!!!! Girl Talk!!!!!

Posted by moo pie | April 15, 2008 11:58 AM

Holy fuck, the Halo Benders would be freaking AMAZING!

Posted by Eric Grandy | April 15, 2008 12:14 PM

The two bands I hate most in this world right now, Kimya Dawson and Vampire Weekend, are both playing. I mean... wow! This looks like indie pop hell. Way to make Bumbershoot's line up actually look better.

Posted by dan10things | April 15, 2008 1:00 PM

What, you would take Stone Temple Pilots over Vampire Weekend, Dan? That is some serious dedication to contrarianism.

Posted by Eric Grandy | April 15, 2008 1:07 PM

Dan, I'm sure you'll work hard to get in without paying no matter how much you decry it.

Posted by Frank | April 15, 2008 1:09 PM

The Bumbershoot lineup skews more towards Dan's age-group for sure

Posted by notsooldtostilllikeit | April 15, 2008 1:16 PM

Uh no, Neko Case over Vampire Weekend, any day of the week. But good comparison with Stone Temple Pilots, because Vampire Weekend are essentially the STP of today's music. I'm sure they will be relegated to similar status 10 or 15 years from now if they are remembered at all. Jay Reatard and Akimbo are great though, at least a little rock and punk has snuck in to the lineup. And damn straight Frank.

Posted by dan10things | April 15, 2008 1:44 PM

This looks awesome! Waaaaay better than last year. Even the local bands they got for this year are better. Velella Velella, USE and Man Plus have the perfect sounds for a block party.
BTW, dan10things, a lot of these bands are not indie pop. A lot of these bands are dance (the above local acts). I would like to say there are no heavy bands (metal, hardcore). Man Plus is probably the hardest among this set and I hear they are a lot harder and crazy live than on record.

Posted by Todd B. | April 15, 2008 2:28 PM

@22- i dont really think those bands are "opening" for vw because this is more of an all day festival, not a really long build up to a headlining act, though you make an interesting point.

Posted by nano nano | April 15, 2008 2:30 PM

hey dan 10 things, i'm rofling about how baseless your STP jab is. what the fuck areyou talking about? NOTHING

this lineup is so awesome. for the category called "people i hang out with", CHBP is OWNING bumbershoot

Posted by ndrwmtsn | April 15, 2008 2:38 PM

Don't worry kids, lots more bands to be announced, including more metal, punk and hip hop. And Dj's. And even some politicians.

And Dan, you're not getting free tickets from me.

Bumbershoot is going to be awesome too. We're not really competing. We love Bumbershoot and Sasquatch (be sure to catch Blue Scholars and Presidents at Sasquatch!)

Along with the Sub Pop fest, this is going to be a HUGE summer of music, and by far the best place to be for live music this year. Like by far. Amazing. And wait for the rest of the lineup. It's going to be killer.

Posted by Meinert | April 15, 2008 2:53 PM

Meinert-
You don't even need anymore, this lineup is fucking perfect! Lots of surprises, and all of 'em sweet!

Posted by Julie | April 15, 2008 3:12 PM

lol meinert ftw

Posted by ndrwmtsn | April 15, 2008 3:26 PM

STP had a major hype and marketing machine behind them that pushed a pretty mediocre band into instant media coverage, TV appearances, the cover of Spin, etc. The same weird phenomena, which happens to a band or two a year, has happened with Vampire Weekend. A pretty crappy band is pushed and marketed so hard that some people can't help but eat it up. IMHO, similar quality, similar hype, different eras.

Posted by dan10things | April 15, 2008 3:29 PM

dan10: your "O" better be hella "H"

those bands have nothing to do with each other. at all.

ihonestly can't get over how incredible this lineup is

Posted by ndrwmtsn | April 15, 2008 3:39 PM

Grandy put them up for comparison. The only things they have in common is they are both shitty bands that have gotten a lot more attention than they deserved, yet are still headlining Seattle music festivals. I blame Meinert, he helps put on both Bumbershoot and the Block Party :)

Posted by dan10things | April 15, 2008 3:56 PM

Vampire Weekend is a great band. Reminds me of watching early Elvis Costello. And they are politically radical which I love. Need more groups speaking out right now.

And Dan - though I can't take credit for all the good stuff at either the Block Party or Bumbershoot, I wish I could. Seriously two of the best fests in the US. I know you have to hate on SOMEthing, but really, Seattle is the best place in the world to be this summer for music. Not everyone is going to love EVERY band playing at EVERY festival, but I know I'll be at Sasquatch, Sub Pop's 20th, Block Party, the KEXP Barbecue, and of course the grandaddy of them all, Bumbershoot. Freaking AMAZING summer.

Oh, and of course Iron Maiden too! Can't believe no festival got them.

Posted by Meinert | April 15, 2008 4:02 PM

I'm not sure any more could have been done to make me want to avoid the block party this year. Aside from a couple of local bands (and many of those, especially USE, are just as useless as the headliners), this is pathetic. Can the city withstand this much of a hipster critical mass localized in one spot? Bleah.

Maybe the comparison to STP isn't as fair, but Vampire Weekend does suck. They're awful. I'm equally uninspired by Bumbershoot's listings so far, but at least I know they have a ton more bands yet to be listed.

Query - given the relative proximity, how much did Sub Pop's anniversary (and far superior lineup) affect the block party? It isn't this bad on purpose, right?

Posted by serotonein | April 15, 2008 4:21 PM

I will add that if the Halo Benders rumor becomes fact... well, all is not forgiven, but I'd pay the full charge for a weekend pass just to see that band.

Posted by serotonein | April 15, 2008 4:27 PM

@42
While I agree that out of all of these bands, I am least excited to see Vampire Weekend, the rest of the lineup is awesome. And yeah, USE is a total hipster band, and Pwrfl Power is the worst thing ever, but I am actually surprised at the selections of local bands. These are really some great Seattle bands, rather than the usual hipster coke-head shit.

Posted by candle | April 15, 2008 4:57 PM

Dave, I'm really not a hater. I just have to stand up for the music I love, the rock and punk bands in this town, which tend to get overlooked by The Stranger and Block Party. Someone into heavier/noisier music has gotta say, wait a minute, there are way better bands in this town that could be playing instead of some of these bands. I've pretty much been saying the same thing about both festivals for a long time, you know this isn't a new argument from me, I thought that's in part why you worked it to get people like me and Sam onto the Bumberboard a few years ago.

Side note: If anyone wonders why Stone Temple Pilots are playing Bumbershoot, AEG Live signed a deal with One Reel to book the stadium and STP is one of their exclusive clients. My guess is locals One Reel didn't have a lot of influence over the decision.

Posted by dan10things | April 15, 2008 5:03 PM

yeah, not too impressed with this line-up, i gotta admit.

i think someone else already touched on this, but it seems like the block party this year is just some "hipster" overload that seems to be trying too hard. it almost has an aire of the scene and how people acted when New Wave was all the rage.

Sub Pop's anniversary looks FAR superior.

Posted by wb98 | April 15, 2008 5:15 PM

does anyone remember when the block party was mostly local bands and cost less than 10 bucks a day and not every douche bag in seattle was there?

with that being said, block party is still fun. although last year's Spoon set made me so f'ing claustrophobic, and there wasn't really any way to out of it.

helpful hint to CHBP: maybe make it easier to get around this year? you can't set it up the same way when you have huge bands playing, the crowds are just way too big.

or maybe i'm just too old for this. =)

Posted by jen | April 15, 2008 5:29 PM

@46 - not it's @45 who is old...Sub Pop's party? Ugh...talk about old news. I fell asleep before I even finished reading the lineup. Block Party is going to rule.

Posted by ohmy | April 15, 2008 5:34 PM

yep, i'm the old one. i can't keep up with all the trendy stuff.

and you're right, Sub Pop's party is probably more for the older folks, hopefully that'll keep the 'hipster bandwagon' crowd away and we can enjoy the bands that still know how to rock a place to the ground.

...or, at least like to rock the party!

Posted by wb98 | April 15, 2008 6:12 PM

@44 AND 45, gotta say only a few of these bands are hipster bands. most of them are straight up for real. stop hatin' and start celebratin' some real Seattle shit!

Posted by phys ed | April 15, 2008 6:12 PM

"stop hatin' and start celebratin' some real Seattle shit!"

uh, totally.

Posted by wb98 | April 15, 2008 6:19 PM

wb98, way to come across as a total out of touch asshole. sure some of these bands are hipster bands, but for a stranger sponsored event, i would say it's a pretty solid lineup. the local acts this year are great choices (minus a couple of crap hipster choices).

Posted by N8te | April 15, 2008 6:39 PM

@45 - Funny thing is, the Sub Pop line up is for the folks who WERE HIPSTERS 15+ years ago. Just because we're all too old to consider ourselves hipsters now, doesn't mean we never had our day. Let the kids have their fun. I'm still going to haul may old ass out for Les Savy Fav!

Posted by Dod | April 15, 2008 7:12 PM

I'm going to rock my ass off at all of them. Old, new, hipster, real, whatthefuckever, there's a lot of great music here this summer.

Posted by rk | April 15, 2008 8:57 PM

I'm excited to rock out too! Les Savy Fav, Chromeo and my new favorite local band, Man Plus, are going to annihilate everyone. July cannot come fast enough.

Posted by malaprop | April 15, 2008 9:36 PM

@46 - I miss it too, jen.

Those were the days - when we got local shows and didn't go broke doing it.

Posted by Will in Musical Seattle | April 15, 2008 11:39 PM

Will, the great thing about local bands is that they're playing locally all the time, and for not much money. What's great about festivals is how they can mix the local with the national/international. You wouldn't want to go to an all-local film fest, would you?

Posted by Eric Grandy | April 15, 2008 11:45 PM

Oh, sometimes they're fun too, Eric.

Posted by Will in Musical Seattle | April 16, 2008 12:53 AM

Good news!

Halo Benders are working out songs for their suprise headlining spot! All those Tina's and Todd's in the crowd are gonna drop their Stellas when Calvin unloads some serious science on them.

"Rippin off jocks, flippin' off cops, sippin' on toxic rocket fuel ... FREEDOM RIDERS!"

I also heard that Calvin is seriously excited by the chance to play a festival sponsored by Miller Brewing. Everyone who knows anything knows Calvin is a serious Miller Light drinker.

This is going to be amazing!

Posted by Chirp | April 16, 2008 9:28 AM

Calvin and i were sipping on brews and tokin on some camels last night rapping about this very subject. We are super soakin x-cited!

Posted by Partman Parthorse | April 16, 2008 11:54 AM

Miller Light is the new PBR, how can Calvin not want to drink it?

Posted by Miller Brewing Company, Milwaukee Wisconsin | April 16, 2008 1:01 PM

support your hipster republican overlords!

Posted by bobcat | April 16, 2008 1:54 PM

Bobcat's fav bar only serves anarchist homebrew, I'm sure.

Posted by Eric Grandy | April 16, 2008 2:15 PM