« Musical Trucks | Christgau - "It would be my pl... »

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Alicia Keys: “‘Gangsta rap’ was a ploy to convince black people to kill each other.”

posted by on April 12 at 13:26 PM

Alicia Keys recently gave an interesting interview to Blender…:

There’s another side to Alicia Keys: conspiracy theorist. The Grammy-winning singer-songwriter tells Blender magazine: “`Gangsta rap’ was a ploy to convince black people to kill each other. `Gangsta rap’ didn’t exist.”

Keys, 27, said she’s read several Black Panther autobiographies and wears a gold AK-47 pendant around her neck “to symbolize strength, power and killing ‘em dead,” according to an interview in the magazine’s May issue, on newsstands Tuesday.

Another of her theories: That the bicoastal feud between slain rappers Tupac Shakur and Notorious B.I.G. was fueled “by the government and the media, to stop another great black leader from existing.”

She also said she hopes to start writing more political songs in the future. Read more here.

GOD DAMN AMERICA!!!

Posted by lar | April 12, 2008 1:53 PM

One does always have to wonder when a popular music form comes along that encourages people to "rebel" by doing exactly what the Man wants them to do -- i.e. consume and die.

Posted by flamingbanjo | April 12, 2008 7:30 PM

Oh for fuck's sake..."I'm mad like Alicia Keys" doens't quite have the same ring.

Posted by tupac X | April 13, 2008 10:31 AM

And for years I've been saying that Alicia Keys' music is just a ploy to make me want to kill myself.

Posted by danmohr | April 13, 2008 11:17 PM

#2 - I detect the facetious tone in your post, but I also think you've got a point there.

Posted by Dougsf | April 14, 2008 1:47 PM

Why take resposibility when u can blame the white man

Posted by Tyler benson | April 14, 2008 4:49 PM