« Her Space Holiday - Bottom of ... | Wow »

Friday, April 25, 2008

Coachella Begins Today

posted by on April 25 at 12:46 PM

coachella.jpg

It’s going to be +100 degrees all weekend. In years past I’ve felt that they’ve had the dominant summer festival lineup. This year… not so much. Anyone actually wish they were down there getting sunstroke? I would have liked to have seen Aphex Twin and Portishead, but I’m not sure there’s anything in that desert that’s significantly more compelling than what’s happening in four festivals within a day’s drive of Seattle (that’s Sasquatch!, Block Party, SP20, and Pemberton, if you weren’t keeping track).

zwickel is down there.

i feel you about not being so pumped about this year though.

Posted by ndrwmtsn | April 25, 2008 1:53 PM

It's really good looking kids getting high for a few days. That alone is the draw.

Posted by Dougsf | April 25, 2008 2:44 PM

I love Coachella no matter who is playing or how freakin' hot it is. It's the greatest vibe around. When the sun sets, the air is still crazy warm and the mountains are all around...perfection. Can't make it this year and I'm heart broken. I will miss the "community" vibe and sharing sunscreen and weed.

Posted by sunstroke | April 25, 2008 3:12 PM

Gawd made the ever-loving awesome Block Party for city-bound freaks like me. THAT's the action I crave.

Posted by Chris Estey | April 25, 2008 3:46 PM

none of the 4 festivles within a days drive can even compare to this years coachella linup, ive been to three of them and this one by far has the best linup i weap a small tear that im not there.

Posted by bullshiiiiittt | April 25, 2008 5:07 PM

i have to disagree with #5; i think the lineup for this year's coachella is its most lackluster in years. this is probably the first year since the year before the fabled pixies reunion where the lineup wasn't worth the trip.

the block party is going to be awesome, and sasquatch and SP20 are looking like they're going to be the can't-miss festivals of the entire summer.

Posted by douglas martin | April 25, 2008 6:26 PM

I find most of this year's festivals to be thin, particularly in the Northwest.

At least Coachella has imports, unusual big-ticket names, and actual music not made with guitars.

Even if our country still has no idea how to do a festival right.

Posted by Fawkes | April 25, 2008 8:22 PM

I'm here at Coachella - it's nice. Wasn't close to being sold out yesterday, but that's a bonus really. Not too hot either, at least yesterday. And Zwickel is here, but I don't think he made it past the VIP Bar.

But the lineup? The only thing really good on the mainstage last night was the Raconteurs, who are the best rock band in the world right now. The Breeders were so awful it wasn't even funny, just sad. I mean really, worst live band performance I may have ever seen. Tegan and Sarah - tight, but boring. Jack Johnson...whatever. Today and tomorrow should be solid though.

On the other stages that I saw, Vampire Weekend was good, though maybe a little nervous.

But definitely getting to and from the festival is not so easy - which is one of the things that makes Block Party and Bumbershoot so nice (not to mention the price)

Posted by Meinert | April 26, 2008 9:16 AM

There are fewer standout must-sees on the bill, but Coachella wins for staying thoroughly eclectic and booking a strong lineup across a lot of genres. Friday was pretty quiet crowd-wise, but Saturday was packed -- esp. MIA, Hot Chip, MGMT, and, of course, the two-hour Prince variety show.

Posted by josh | April 27, 2008 1:38 PM

Ya'll see Prince's cover of "Creep"? It was the truth.

Posted by Thig Nat | April 27, 2008 10:47 PM

yeahk i saw that. twas truthful

breeders sucked, huh meinert? fuck...i'm not suprised. not the most stable band. that album fucking owns though.

Posted by ndrwmtsn | April 28, 2008 7:51 PM

No mention of the fantastic Verve set Friday? That's just wrong. What festival were you watching?

Posted by Matthew | April 29, 2008 11:11 AM