« Today's Music News | Tonight in Music: Grand Hallwa... »

Monday, April 14, 2008

Death Cab For Cutie - “I Will Possess Your Heart”

posted by on April 14 at 11:35 AM

Nothing says “we’re doing this for us” quite like releasing an eight and a half minute single. Gibbard explained the track a bit in a recent Paste interview:

The single on our record is a work of fiction that was inspired by things that happened to some people close to me. It’s called “I Will Possess Your Heart,” and it’s eight-and-a-half minutes long. It’s five minutes of build and then a three-minute song. The song is basically about a stalker. It’s about this nice guy who wants this girl he can’t have, and he believes they’ll be together once she realizes how great he is—he just has to wait it out. That’s the part that makes the song really creepy, the delusion of thinking that they were meant to be together. It’s a really dark song. A lot of the material is about the inevitable disappointment people feel as they move through life, and things don’t feel the way they expect. No experience will ever match up to the idealized version in your mind.

You can read the whole interview here.

lol @ gibbard's aspen-ass suede jacket

i have to respect this video, even if the song is kind of boring and way, way, way too clean sounding. this is a fully fleshed-out idea.

Posted by ndrwmtsn | April 14, 2008 12:11 PM

Phew! Just when I thought this band couldn't get any more boring they start writing 8-minute songs?

Well, consider me sleepy!

Posted by Jeff | April 14, 2008 12:28 PM

I have to respect this video, even if it is total crap, cause its fully fleshed out crap.

Posted by Matt | April 14, 2008 2:01 PM

Cool, another song for my stalker playlist!

Ride all the subways you want, baby, but one of these days I WILL possess your heart.

Posted by PopTart | April 14, 2008 2:19 PM

A potentially great song ruined by self-indulgence. And a really annoying bassline.

Posted by Matthew | April 14, 2008 4:16 PM

criticizing dcfc for being self-indulgent is like criticizing the beatles for being british

Posted by I, Will | April 14, 2008 4:35 PM

Jeff, thanks for the link to that essay. It was good.

Gibbard is right when he says that the things about Death Cab that some people hate are the exact things that other people love them for.

Posted by E | April 14, 2008 10:48 PM

Let me save you all 8 minutes of your life-

repetitive bass line

repetitive bass line three more minutes

Gotta spend some time, Love.

Gotta spend some time with me.

repetitive bass line
repetitive bass line.

Posted by Lindsarella | April 14, 2008 11:32 PM

I happen to like it. It's very trance inducing. But Gibbard's glasses have got to go.

Posted by jerry falls well | April 15, 2008 9:28 AM