« So Much Hair... | Ghostland Observatory »

Monday, April 7, 2008

Earplugs Contd: With Krazy Glue on Them

posted by on April 7 at 12:34 PM

krazyglue.jpgThese Arms Are Snakes bassist Brian Cook wears earplugs. (Earlier earplug post – here.) Brian uses the cheapo foam ones and cuts them in half so they fit better and don’t block as much sound. He has also put Krazy Glue on them. Brian explains:

Do you use earplugs?
Brian: Yes, I use earplugs. I use ‘em till they turn black from earwax and build up lint from my pockets. It’s surprising I haven’t contracted some sort of awful ear infection.

I was playing a show in Tallahassee, FL and I accidentally shoved an earplug too far into my ear. I couldn’t get it out so I enlisted a friend to put a dab of Krazy Glue on the end of a q-tip to fish it out. It was a pretty intense moment. I didn’t realize Krazy Glue heats up as it dries. We managed to get it out, but it left a bunch of scabby glue on the inside of my ear for the next week.

Do you recommend the Krazy Glue Q-tip removal technique to others?

Crazy glue in the ear, ouch.

Posted by drheavy | April 7, 2008 12:56 PM

"Now I wanna dab some glue. Now I wanna have something to do."

Posted by trent moorman | April 7, 2008 1:18 PM

Not long after my wife and I had started dating, I fished some wadded up toilet paper out her ears with tweezers (no krazy glue). It was a lovely moment. If you're going to go the TP route, make sure you have a big enough wad so it doesn't get lost down your ear.

Posted by Levislade | April 7, 2008 1:30 PM

Maybe ya shouldn't have cut them in half, smart guy.

Posted by Greg | April 7, 2008 3:07 PM

this one time, this bass player i know got a piece of foxtail stuck deep in his ear canal and ended up walking in circles with his head tilted sideways for hours. no wait... that was my dog.

Posted by tenspeed | April 7, 2008 3:38 PM

I don't wear earplugs when The Long Winters play live, but our volume on stage isn't super loud, either. I've tried using ear plugs when we play and I don't like it.

We've always tried to strike a good balance (with varying degrees of success) between our stage volume and the wedges so that we don't have to crank them to an obscene amount and my ears aren't ringing after we play a set. I don't like a lot of my vocal in my wedges anyway and, when the room is big enough, I even like to monitor vocals mostly off the back wall.

This is far from ideal though, and we're always subject to cymbal noise and the occasional painful and deafening high frequency scream that happens when the wedges that are pointed at our heads feed back into the vocal mic.

Every person I know who's tried the in-ear monitors swears by them and won't go back to listening through wedges, so perhaps that's the solution of the future, as far as playing live goes.

I do wear earplugs when I go and see a show. A band's on-stage volume is often less than what an audience gets hammered with out in front of a club's p.a. system.

Also, think of the times you're at a club watching a band and a friend yells something to you during the show. You indicate that you didn't quite hear them (because the band is so loud) so they then lean closer to your ear and scream it again because it's important and it can't wait until the end of the song.
This often goes on for the duration of the show. And often ends with the phrase "I know, right?".

Let's recapture that: Three or so hours of very loud rock music shot through with spikes of your friend yelling in your ear, literally, to beat the band. Followed by "I know, right?".

Over time these repeated assaults on your ears can result in hearing loss and/or a condition called tinnitus, both of which can be permanent.

Posted by Eric C. | April 7, 2008 5:52 PM