Line Out: Music & Nightlife

RSS icon Comments on Eurovision Season!

holy freaking wow! how did i ever miss seeing that ukrainian song! what a freakfest!

thanks so much griet! can't wait to see all the others!

Posted by terry miller | April 18, 2008 12:26 PM

Woah, Papa Pingouin is one of my earliest Eurovision memories (aged 6 1/2 or thereabouts at the time). I did a quick web search for the song, and turns out that some crowd did a techno remake in 2006, and it got to number one in France! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Rrk7vidzw .

Is anybody hosting a eurovision party, or interested in attending one? Streaming internet seems to be finally at the stage where it's doable; and it might even be possible to combine streaming video from the Serb TV site with streaming Wogan commentary from BBC radio, and that would be just perfect.

Posted by Brendan | April 18, 2008 7:05 PM

Omg omg! The Stranger covering Eurovision, one of my favorite things in the entire world? I'm completely obsessed. I managed to get a friend last year obsessed too, as well as subject everyone I could to either Verka or Vampires Are Alive (the Swiss entry, which should have done much better due to its absolute hilarity) on a regular basis.

There are some good entries this year...I feel I must discuss Belgium, but I have absolutely no clue as to what's going on there. I can't get Estonia's entry out of my head and I don't know why. But Azerbaijan is my show-to-friends favorite right now.

If anyone is having a Eurovision party, I'm so in. (I've even got last year's on DVD with Wogan commentary from a friend of mine in Britain.)

Posted by Abby | April 18, 2008 8:16 PM

Two questions: Where can we watch this wonderous event in Seattle? And where can I get a recording of the Ukraine song? OHMYGOD!

Posted by Suz | April 18, 2008 8:20 PM

@4: It's streamed live online from the Eurovision website, but I've yet to be able to find it on TV at all here.

And I have a CD-single of Dancing Lasha Tumbai (with six completely unnecessary remixes!) when I was in Germany, so maybe online somewhere?

Posted by Abby | April 18, 2008 8:33 PM

The Eurovision Song Contest is always a hoot, but sometimes someone(s) get their big break on it.

Perhaps the most famous: Abba with "Waterloo", winners for Sweden in 1974. It was all over the radio when I was growing up in England back then.

Posted by Daniel K | April 18, 2008 9:16 PM

Hard Rock Hallelujah by Lordi (Finland) won two years ago. It, well, rocks. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5798623101377514296

Posted by mmt | April 18, 2008 9:37 PM

Unless I hear of someone else doing it (and I get invited), I'm planning on (attempting) to stream this year's contest to my living room. The streaming quality of last years one was pretty good. So, if anyone is interested in eurovisioning it up, drop me an email and let's see what happens. brendan underscore mckeon at hotmail.

Dancing Lasha Tumbai is also available on the CD for last year's contest (along with all the other songs, including Kate Ryan's fab "Je t'Adore", whic obviouslty didn't make it to the finals because it's actually a real pop song, and those are no longer allowed); search amazon for "Eurovision 2007".

Celine Dion is another of the Eurovision winners, who sang for Switzerland back in 1988, with a pretty decent (for Celine) pop ditty. It doesn't appear on any of her compilations...

Posted by Brendan | April 18, 2008 10:08 PM

One of the other highlights from last year's show was the Serebro, Russia's version of the Pussycat Dolls. They got third place with lyrics like this:

Gotta tease you nasty guy/ So take it, don't be shy/ Put your cherry on my cake
And taste my cherry pie

Brendan, I hope you're right about BBC radio. I streamed it from the Eurovision website last year and it was definitely not as fun without Terry Wogan's snarky remarks.

Posted by Ukraine was ROBBED | April 18, 2008 11:01 PM

Even without understanding the first song, I enjoyed it. More importantly, how interesting is it to look at beautiful women WITH hips!

Posted by Stash | April 19, 2008 2:15 AM

@abby: Azerbaijan is in one word: perfect! The ultime Eurovision song.
Unfortunately I read they're planning to make some changes... I hope they don't mess with it too much.

Posted by Griet | April 19, 2008 6:25 AM

I think The Stranger should live stream it someplace where we all can go. I'd LOVE to go to a party like that but I'm quite certain none of you want a Fnarf in your house.

Posted by Fnarf | April 19, 2008 7:43 AM

Klaus Nomi is alive and living as a woman in Ukraine.

Posted by Jubilation T. Cornball | April 19, 2008 8:44 AM

@11: Oh no! They can't change a thing. You're right, it's perfect the way it is.

And I agree with Fnarf. Stranger Eurovision party!

Posted by Abby | April 19, 2008 11:27 AM

Let us not forget UK's answer to ABBA:

Posted by Eeep! | April 19, 2008 1:03 PM

My god - Nick Garrison has escaped to Kiev!

Posted by RHETT ORACLE | April 19, 2008 2:27 PM

It is with great ironic glee I tell you all that I will actually be IN BELGRADE for Eurovision this year (it's only 6 hours by train from my current expat home of Budapest). I'm looking forward to lots of people in silly silly costumes, and, of course, an entire weekend of complete madness.

Posted by Duna | April 20, 2008 9:26 AM

Molitva just changed my Sunday. Thanks.

Posted by ellenment | April 20, 2008 3:07 PM

HA HA! The second video is even better. I cannot wait for more!

Posted by ellenment | April 20, 2008 3:09 PM

WoW! Super Geek League has nothing on these guys!

Posted by Dick | April 20, 2008 7:18 PM