« Overheard at Tonight's Secret ... | First Chunk of Bumbershoot Lin... »

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Extra Extra! Techno Arist Inspired by Club Scene!

posted by on April 9 at 0:51 AM

Apparently, Moby’s new record pays homage to late-night clubbing in New York City.

A excerpt of an interview he just did with CNN:

CNN: Your new album is kind of a concept album. What’s the idea behind it?

MOBY: Well, it is a concept record, although there’s a part of me that’s wary of describing it as such because traditionally concept records tend to be a bit pretentious and self-involved.

The idea behind the record was to take a sort of crazy eight-hour night in my neighborhood in the Lower East Side and somehow condense it into 65 minutes on a CD. And so it’s just me trying to re-create what it’s like to go out in my neighborhood and stay out too late and get into trouble.

CNN: Do you still do that? Go out to clubs every night and crawl home as the sun’s rising?

MOBY: I don’t necessarily go out every night, but I’m 42 years old and at this point most of my friends are married and they have kids and they have quiet domestic lives, and I’m still going out like two or three nights a week until 5 or 6 in the morning. At some point I think in the interest of dignity I should probably stop, but I still find it really inspiring and it’s still a lot of fun.

So what you’re telling me is that a techno/electronic musician is inspired by the nightlife/club scene? Why is that interesting? Does it only not make sense because it’s almost one in the morning?

Oh, right! CNN's new interview series. I read that the next couple of interviews are with a veterinarian that has pets and a chef that likes to eat.

Posted by Lauren | April 9, 2008 8:58 AM

"And so itís just me trying to re-create what itís like to go out in my neighborhood and stay out too late and get into trouble."

this is the same dude that complained everyone on the nasa tour (orbital, aphex twin, etc.) were doing too many drugs resulting in moby hiding in his tour bus after shows? SHUT THE FUCK UP. spend your money made by misappropriating black culture and alan lomax field recordings to buy another electric piano and SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Posted by cosby | April 9, 2008 9:17 AM

Moby is hard, and he wants you to know it.

Posted by laterite | April 9, 2008 9:41 AM

That's been the talking point behind the record since its release was first announced. CNN's just following the script.

It's not so much that Moby, like everybody, is inspired by his own milieu, it's that he's attempting to compress the narrative arc of an eight hour night out into an hour long album. And the fact that he's actually thoughtful enough to express some hesitancy about calling it a concept album has to be worth something.

Posted by Eric Grandy | April 9, 2008 9:48 AM

@2: I read a recent interview (in Spin, I think) in which Moby casually talks about having done every drug except maybe heroin and crack, and it was surprising, because I thought he was kind of a wet blanket about all that back in the day.

Posted by Eric Grandy | April 9, 2008 9:51 AM

@5:
can't truss it!

i am really hesitant to believe anything he says at this point, he really seems to be digging his fingernails into his last glint of notoriety at this point. if bullshitting about doing drugs is going to keep his name in the papers for another five minutes, he's going to bullshit about doing drugs.

he's always been vocally against drug use in rave culture, railing against people that pick apart his track titles with probable drug references ('next to the e'? come on). i'm surprised that he's suddenly an erowid correspondent and not a less-talented ian mackaye clone.

i'm not buying into the 'new' moby and i'm not ready to give him a free pass for being a pioneering figure (despite being two years behind every electronic music trend since the beginning of his career).

Posted by cosby | April 9, 2008 10:06 AM