« Last Krakt Ever. Tonight. | Rock Lottery 04: Bands Have Be... »

Sunday, April 13, 2008

File Under: Pizza Is Delicious

posted by on April 13 at 12:48 PM

One quick highlight from yesterday at the EMP Pop Conference: Blue Scholars are fucking great. Even at one in the afternoon, playing for a sparse, sleepy crowd made up of a surprising amount of kids and families. Geologic spits sparks, a political descendent of Chuck D but with a more slippery flow and subtle cadence than PE’s hard-consonant bombs. Sabzi’s beats rumbled mightily on the Sky Church’s sound system; his record drops were consistently spine-tingling. After all the academic hand-wringing of many of the conference’s presentations, Blue Scholars’ broad populism was refreshing, even inspiring.

the scholars were the perfect group for the pop conference

i went, saw mudede so his thing, saw the dude before him get really into french words that hold down poor people (kickass powerpoint presentation).

it seemed a lot of the presenters were offering really dense, academic stories of oppression, so i can get why the scholars seemed like some fizzy fun

Posted by ndrwmtsn | April 13, 2008 2:59 PM

Actually, that;'s exactly how I felt -- dancing to the Scholars in the middle of that day made the Pop Con feel far healthier and fun. It was a perfect respite from all the scholarly and aesthetic head trips. I wish more Con attendees had grabbed a quicker lunch and joined those us us like Mr. Grandy and Bob Christagu.

Posted by Chris Estey | April 13, 2008 5:37 PM

Forgive the typos above -- had a few drinks with the wife after the final panels today. *Hick.*

Posted by Chris Estey | April 13, 2008 5:39 PM

To balance out the refreshing, inspiring, broad populism of Blue Scholars, I ate trash for lunch at McDonalds. I consider it like a carbon footprint offset.

Posted by Katelyn | April 13, 2008 6:33 PM

Mocked though I am, I have to say, there was a time I thought the Scholars were "good for me" and avoided them. (I am not really much concerned with music that I am "supposed to like.") Then catching them live a few times, I realized that they simply kick ass. Eric captured a vital moment, and one of the most invigorating shows I've seen recently -- which just happened to be "populist."

Posted by Chris Estey | April 14, 2008 6:24 AM

what's more amazing is that geo did his set with a cold...

Posted by www.bayanusa.org | April 14, 2008 1:50 PM