« Extra Extra! Techno Arist Insp... | Tonight in Music: Meat Beat Ma... »

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

First Chunk of Bumbershoot Line Up Announced

posted by on April 9 at 9:26 AM

41NTA8MjIiL._SS500_.jpg

Music:

Beck, Stone Temple Pilots, Lucinda Williams, Neko Case, Ingrid Michaelson, Del Tha Funky Homosapien, Jakob Dylan, !!!, Lee “Scratch” Perry, Saul Williams, Joe Bonamassa, M. Ward, The Walkmen, Asylum St. Spankers, Dan Deacon, MIDIval PunditZ, Blitzen Trapper, Bedouin Soundclash, Tim Finn, Dale Watson, John Vanderslice, Final Fantasy, The Fall of Troy, Orgone, Forro in the Dark, Ryan Bingham, Wreckless Eric & Amy Rigby, Arthur & Yu, Darondo and Nino Moschella, Pacifika and many more to be announced.

Literary Arts:

Graphic novelists Dan Clowes and Adrian Tomine, sci-fi legend William Gibson, a special edition of Starlee Kine and Arthur Jones’ Post-It Note Reading Series, authors Nathan McCall, Francesca Lia-Block, Kevin Sessums, and more.

Other shit:

Gage Academy Drawing Jam, One Pot Residency, Seattle-Tehran Poster Show, exhibits from the Henry Art Gallery, a spectacle from Strange Fruit, dance and puppets from Joe Goode and Basil Twist, Pacific Northwest Ballet.

Tickets are $80 for all three days right now. I think I’m most excited for William Gibson.

80 bucks?!?! Jesus, wasn't an advance 3-day pass half of that just 3-4 years ago? Still, looks like a good lineup so far, though I could do without FoT again.

Posted by laterite | April 9, 2008 9:39 AM

I find it funny that the only "OH SHIT!!!" thing on the line up for me is William Gibson as well.

The headliners would have been awesome in 1997.

Posted by Graham | April 9, 2008 9:55 AM

!!! and Lee "Scratch" Perry! Awesome! Del should be fun. I guess Beck puts on a good show, although I liked his steez more around the last time he headlined Bumbershoot. Final Fantasy, Blitzen Trapper, and Arthur & Yu are all fine. But, damn, Stone Temple Pilots?! Fucking Candlebox wasn't available or something?

Posted by Eric Grandy | April 9, 2008 9:55 AM

Is it sad that I haven't heard of half of those acts?

Posted by boxofbirds | April 9, 2008 9:58 AM

@4

Posted by Mr. Poe | April 9, 2008 10:02 AM

I love the Asylum Street Spankers. They remind me of living in Austin.

Posted by Clint | April 9, 2008 10:02 AM

@2: Ditto

Posted by A | April 9, 2008 10:08 AM

Beck was amazing at the Paramount but severely underwhelming at Sasquatch.... hmmm I'm torn.

Posted by Cale | April 9, 2008 10:08 AM

See, now I wish i could pay a nominal entry fee *just* for the literary panels and Flatstock.

Lee Perry is good to see at least once in your life definitely, but he plays Seattle almost twice a year now.

Posted by mackro mackro | April 9, 2008 10:08 AM

Call me way out of touch or something, but between this - 80 bucks for 3 days - and the hundred and forty-four bucks I just shelled out for Radiohead at White River, you gotta be rich to see the arena rock these days. I'm not rich, tho'.

Posted by Madashell | April 9, 2008 10:35 AM

PS to 10 - $144 for 2 tix.

Posted by Madashell | April 9, 2008 10:36 AM

John Vanderslice... again? I'm excited (nerd alert) for Gibson, and the graphic novels thing is kinda cool too.

Is the PNB going to be performing WITH Del tha Funky Homosapien?

Posted by Katelyn | April 9, 2008 10:37 AM

Stone Temple Pilots? Ugh. This is looking like the worst Bumbershoot line-up in years, I hope they seal the deal with better bands before the next announcement. I can only hope Neko Case and William Gibson are on the same day. Lucinda Williams is great, but didn't she play a year or two ago?

Posted by dan10things | April 9, 2008 10:50 AM

Breaking news: They book big name bands to bring people in from the suburbs. Do you really expect Stone Temple Pilots fans to be checking out !!! or Lee Perry?

The real charm of Bumbershoot is steering clear of the headliners to find the hidden gems.

Relax kids.

Posted by Jeff | April 9, 2008 11:09 AM

or attend the big shows to steer away from the poseurs.

Posted by SeMe | April 9, 2008 11:28 AM

#10: I thought Radiohead pre-sale didn't start until Thursday at 10am?

what kind of super secret club are you in?

thanks for any tips...

Posted by pat | April 9, 2008 11:48 AM

@16 They went on sale this morning around 6 via their official site. The sale is over now. Live Nation is doing a presale tomorrow.

Posted by RH | April 9, 2008 12:00 PM

I know the Stranger hipsters will probably laugh at this idea ... but here it goes...

instead of Bumbershoot ...

* DMB @ the Gorge on labor day weekend...

fun, party, great weather, chill vibe, excellent musicians. lots of stoners & nice people.

it's a hoot, give it a shot.

Posted by DMBfan | April 9, 2008 12:29 PM

18-

someone once used those same words to describe hempfest to me.

Posted by highfives | April 9, 2008 12:58 PM

Beck AND Francesca Lia Block? It's like my junior year of high school all over again!

For real, I am really excited about FLB and Neko.

And no offense, DMBfan, if I wanted to watch a bunch of yuppies gather together and pretend to be hippies for a weekend, I'd be all over that. But since I can't get behind a bunch of assclowns in SUVs babbling about "the environment, man" while taking their annual bong hits and circle-dancing, I think I'll stay on this side of the mountains, where a tall boy of Coors isn't $10 and I can use toilets that flush.

Posted by Jessica | April 9, 2008 1:01 PM

"Complaining about the Bumbershoot line-up seems to be an annual rite of passage."

Oh sure. But the funny thing is I sat on the Bumbershoot board for two years helping book bands and still feel like I have a vested interest in the festival, yet think this year's line-up looks especially horrible so far.

Posted by dan10things | April 9, 2008 1:08 PM

Let's recycle Eric's post from last year in which he debunked the whole "Worst-line up ever" fallacy.

Don't believe me? Check the post from last year.

Oh and for poseterity's sake here's a list of previous headliners and I'd say these words will haunt us all: Spin Doctors.

1992 - Spin Doctors
1993 - Barenaked Ladies, Gin Blossoms
1995 - Joan Osborne, Mel Torme
1996 - Crash Test Dummies, House of Pain, Spin Doctors (again?!)
1997 - Blues Traveller, Cake, Let’s Go Bowling, MxPx, Sheryl Crow, Smash Mouth, & Sugar Ray
1998 - Eve 6, Fuel, Live, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Third Eye Blind
1999 - Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Black Eyed Peas (precedent!), Everlast,
2000 - Savage Garden, Sugar Ray (again!),
2001 - Cake (btw, Cake, Joan Osborne, and Zap Mama are all perennial problems), MXPX (again), The Black Crowes,
2002 - Everclear (circa 2002?! c’mon)
2003 - American Hi-Fi
2004 - Nickelback, Puddle of Mudd
2005 - Dashboard Confessional, Garbage (again, circa 2005?!), The Academy Is…
2006 - Copeland, Hawthorne Heights, Yellowcard, Christopher Frizzelle

Eric called it correct then:
The trick to enjoying Bumbershoot is catching the good acts while avoiding the duds.

Posted by Jeff | April 9, 2008 1:17 PM

Thanks, Jeff. Let's all try to remember: It could have been the Spin Doctors (again!).

Posted by Eric Grandy | April 9, 2008 1:19 PM

I highly recommend catching Bill Gibson reading from his own work - if you've never been there, you'll really appreciate the style and rhythm of the reading along with the accent.

He's great on panels and in short plays as well.

And, yes, he was not joking about the typewriter.

Posted by Will in Seattle | April 9, 2008 1:24 PM

2004...oh Jesus. All we're missing here is Creed or Three Doors Down.

Posted by Anna | April 9, 2008 3:46 PM

wait until you see the block party lineup, I've heard most of it - definitely more relevant than either Sasquatch or Bumbershoot who seem to be going after the bigger stadium acts who seem to be growing older.

Posted by smallerisbetter | April 9, 2008 3:54 PM

Jeff, that list purposely leaves out The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, The Stooges, Public Enemy, The Pixies, etc. There have been plenty of great headlining bands that have played Bumbershoot in the past ten years. And bands like Against Me! played it long before the Stranger covered them or would even consider booking them for the Block Party.

Posted by dan10things | April 9, 2008 5:16 PM

I don't care if they dig up the corpse of Ian Curtis for a Warsaw reunion, nothing can wash the stench from having to suffer through Blues Traveler.

I've seen rape kits less intrusive than those douche bags.

Posted by I'm a Nuclear Bomb | April 9, 2008 6:06 PM

Jesus, Dan. Of course that list leaves off a lot of good bands—as Jeff makes clear it's a list of the fest's most odious headliners from year to year, assembled to prove that last year's lineup (or any year's) wasn't the "worst ever" and didn't indicate a general slipping of quality and to make the point that big fests like B-shoot are always about avoiding the shitty big names to go see the smaller or better acts.

Posted by Eric Grandy | April 9, 2008 9:49 PM

Hmmm, I don't get how you say he made it clear in the statement "Oh and for poseterity's sake here's a list of previous headliners..." But anyway, I have to disagree about Bumbershoot. I go about every year and have had higher level passes quite a few years. I don't go do Bumbershoot (or the Block Party for that matter) to see smaller bands I've mostly already seen in a better setting inside dark booze-filled clubs. I go to Bumbershoot to drink outside in beer gardens and catch bigger bands for a fraction of the cost it would be to see them on a normal tour. The Sex Pistols tickets were $50 for their shows elsewhere, we got to see them for like $16. Same with The Stooges, PE, Pixies, etc. But hey, that's the great thing about events packed with so much going on, you can do it your own way.

Posted by dan10things | April 10, 2008 1:14 PM

It's like this - lots of different people (like really, lots and lots) go to Bumbershoot for lots of different reasons. The comedy lineup is the best festival comedy lineup in the country - other fests have tried to copy Bshoot on this, but pale. The local lineup is also great - locals play almost every stage, and are included at almost every level - something again that doesn't happen at any other of the large fests around the country. And the art and literary performances are killer.

Aside from that, Bumbershoot isn't just a hipster festival - it's booking roots, reggae, hip hop, rock, alt country, R&B, jazz, blues, etc, etc. If you're into music, there really isn't a festival around that has more breadth.

And sure, the block party is great too, but they are totally different things created for different purposes. The lineup is going to be great...

Posted by Meinert | April 10, 2008 1:30 PM

I'm not sure where you think he makes that clear... rereading it, it's still not apparent. But anyway, it's funny, I go to Bumbershoot for exactly the opposite reasons as you. I've mostly seen the smaller bands already in more ideal settings, I go to see bigger bands at a way cheaper price than I would otherwise. Sex Pistols for $16 instead of the $50 ticket price it was in other towns. Same for PE, the Pixies and The Stooges.

Posted by dan10things | April 10, 2008 1:38 PM