« 2Pac Up Sticks | Mates of State - "Get Better" »

Monday, April 21, 2008

Good God!

posted by on April 21 at 12:55 PM

art_otis.jpg

(Q: Why is Otis Redding dressed up like a cowboy?

A: Ours is not to question Otis Redding.)

Funky 16 Corners has an mp3 up of an entire side of an Otis Redding live LP. Otis is performing at the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967, six months before his death.

And Holy Sweet Jesus is it good. I don’t know if I’ve ever heard the man perform live before, but he must’ve been something to see. He’s literally gasping for breath in between songs. He stops the band and makes them replay bits of the song he really likes, and he has what sounds like an epileptic fit at the end of a song and the crowd devours every single droplet of sweat.

There’s even a cover of “I Can’t Get No Satisfaction” that starts out about as lame as any cover of “I Can’t Get No Satisfaction,” but it turns into a jumping, screaming revival that, as near as I can tell, beats the shit out of the original.

He dedicates “Try A Little Tenderness” to “all the girls in the miniskirts,” and he nails “Respect” after he complains about how “That little girl stole my song.”

I can’t think of anybody who does anything like this on stage now. Maybe it’s for the best—maybe it would automatically kill someone dead within a matter of months. But I still wish I could have seen him live before he died.

UPDATED to acknowledge that Otis Redding wrote “Respect.” I don’t know how that escaped me.

shame on you for being a music writer and never hearing this. I played this record every single day for 2 years when I was in high school.

Posted by bleh | April 21, 2008 1:42 PM

Can't wait to listen to this.

Respect is Otis's own, not a cover, which explains why he says "that little girl stole my song."

Posted by Duck Dunn | April 21, 2008 1:42 PM

Redding's entire Montery Pop show is on the Montery Pop DVD set, and there is a new Stax Revue live in Scandinavia DVD out also w/Arthur Conely, the Markays, Sam & Dave, and Booker T and the MGs. It's fucking awesome.

Posted by nipper | April 21, 2008 2:01 PM

The videos mentioned by nipper are definitely worth checking out. Also, if you liked the Monterey performance, check out the Live in Europe album with the same Booker T & the MGs/Mar-keys line-up as at Monterey; and Live at the Whisky a Go-Go album, which featured his road band, the Bar-kays (6 person horn section!).

Posted by Bill LaBorde | April 21, 2008 4:48 PM

Both Redding's and Devo's covers of Satisfaction kick the shit out of the original.

Posted by flamingbanjo | April 21, 2008 7:37 PM

tons of vid from the monterey performance on youtube ...

Posted by kevin jones | April 22, 2008 4:52 PM