Line Out: Music & Nightlife

RSS icon Comments on Good to Know

i had that same thought routine in my head as i explained my hatred of U2 when my friend wanted to go see that U2 3D show at imax the other day. Totally understandable. Hatred of musical acts supersedes friendship and friends will understand this.

Posted by jon e. rock | April 30, 2008 1:23 PM

FUCK YES! IRON MAN! IRON MAN!

Posted by lar | April 30, 2008 1:37 PM

Well, Paul, you and poster "jon e. rock" are both "idiots" (not really, cuz you're entitled to your opinions, but...).

Both "Shine a Light" and "U2 3D" were pretty good.

I remember reading something else you wrote, Paul, a year or two ago, that was so revolting, that I made a mental note to take ANYTHING you wrote from then on with a grain of salt -- wish I could remember now what it was. It was taste-related (i.e, I thought, "MAN, this guy has shitty taste."). But again, it's just a matter of taste/opinion, right?

Then again, at that time (and this time), I also thought, "Man, what a pompous ASS!"

Anyway...peace. (LOL...nothing personal, Paul -- really. You probably think I'm an ass for liking those two concert films, right? Right. It's cool.)

Posted by Dan | April 30, 2008 1:52 PM

Well, I don't hate the Stones quite as much as Mr. Paul does, but even so I haven't seen and don't plan to see this movie. Back when this movie was being filmed, it was briefly noted in music news that Scorsese had filled the front section of the theatre with hand-picked fans, presumably people who would be appropriately enthusiastic and attractive on camera. Doing something like that is just so wrong, and my opinion of Scorsese, who I had previously idolized, dropped several notches that day. Sorry, but if I'm going to go to a concert film, I want one with a real audience, not one filled with ringers.

And besides, I'd rather see Iron Man anyway.

Posted by rk | April 30, 2008 3:33 PM

I saw it. At the IMAX. Stones have a horn section now. And Mick does a duet with Christina Aguilera, who comes onstage dressed like Deja Vu stripper on casual Friday.

I'm just sayin'

Posted by KELLY O | April 30, 2008 4:04 PM

Haha. Um...I should note that when I saw "Shine a Light," I was drunk for the first time in three weeks -- and actually fell asleep (yikes!) and missed the Christina Aguilera segment. LOL. When I woke during the credits, I noticed Aguilera's name, and thought, "Thank God I was so drunk I passed out!"

Also, when I saw "U2 3D," I was stoned for the first time in awhile, and was SUPER high. I cried -- wept -- as soon as Bono sang "And it's you when I look in the mirror...and it's you when I pick up the phone...sometimes you can't make it on your own." I didn't know it was about Bono's dad -- to me it sounded like a love song, and I was thinking of my girlfriend in Florida. I was thinking about how much I loved her.

Side note: last night my girlfriend in FL told me "there's someone else."

LOL (wistfully).