« Barf at the Comet | Ready For the Floor »

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I Like Food, Food is Good

posted by on April 23 at 11:56 AM

Last night while talking about bands and songs that are all about food, a friend told me about Rice, the ’90s Lookout Records band that played furious punk songs about… rice.

ricecover.jpg

On their one record, Fuck You, This is Rice, every song is about rice and how awesome it is—“In Rice We Survive,” “Rice Picker,” “Rice’s Meow,” “Rice Control,” “Just How Much Rice,” “Grain of Strength,” “All Steamed Up”… you get it, right?

ricegilman.jpgRice photo by Jamie from Reality Control fanzine

While trying to find some MP3s or videos, I also found this story about how the band was banned from Gilman (bolds are mine):

The Story goes…Rice played at Gilman Street in early 92 and Rop took down the “No Stage Diving” sign and someone took this opportunity to dive into the crowd and accidentally, ends up poking someone’s eye out. Gilman was held responsible and Rice was banned from Gilman, also their last show ever. Come 1995, Rop rents a car w/ Carlos and drives 9 hours to San Diego, to practice for 4 hours with Jason and Matt Anderson, re-learning some songs. That night, they left for a 2 week tour of the west coast. The recording is from a sold-out show w/ Avail at Gilman St. during the 2nd week of the tour. The new board members at Gilman allowed Rice to play, while the old lifers insisted as long as no stage diving. No stage diving that night, but the damage that was done was due to the roman candles that shot-out firecrackers, that were duct-taped around the bass drum and the amps.

Amazon’s selling the songs for 99 cents a pop, but you can hear 30 second samples before buying ‘em (which, in some cases, is half the song).

I want to know more. Someone please tell me more (Bunnypuncher, I’m looking at you).

i have a 7" they released on Vinyl Communications, though i don't think i've listened to it in over a decade. Rop and Carlos (bass and guitar) went on to be in The Peechees.

Posted by brian cook | April 23, 2008 12:03 PM

Pretty sure there's also a Rice track on Can of Pork.

Posted by kid icarus | April 23, 2008 2:15 PM

Yep, I remember Rice. I never heard that Gilman story though.

Posted by Dougsf | April 23, 2008 2:23 PM

Rice is the future.

Posted by Marcy Winterbottom | April 23, 2008 2:27 PM

Rice is the past. I played the shit out of that album when it came out, but I don't think I've listened to it this decade. Funny, but it didn't really hold up over time. This makes me think I should make a comp cd with songs all about food.

Posted by dan10things | April 23, 2008 3:40 PM

Rop and Carlos went on to play in the Peechees who put a couple CDs out on Kill Rock Stars. More info on the KRS website if you care.

Posted by SMP | April 23, 2008 3:44 PM

It's not a joke dumb band!

A few of my friends were tricked into buying that CD based on their track on Can or Pork. Holy shit it was fucking terrible!

Posted by gillsans | April 24, 2008 2:24 PM

I have been scouring the dollar bins across the country looking for Can of Pork. Since lookout went under it's been reallllllly hard to find. Could any of you fine folks yousend it? I would be most appreciative. Thanks in advance!!!

Posted by chriscabisaok | April 24, 2008 6:57 PM