« This is a Joke, Right? | Musicians Going Green; Happy E... »

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Is Weezer Pimping My Ride?

posted by on April 22 at 10:56 AM

The new Weezer album is almost certainly going to be a steaming, highly-polished turd. No one’s being “punk’d”, sadly—Weezer have just slowly and steadily devolved into a reliably terrible band apparently dead set on eclipsing past glories with the worst kind of alt-rock radio dreck conceivable (see: “Beverly Hills,” “Pork & Beans,” et al). At this point, holding out hope for these guys is like repeatedly forgiving an abusive boyfriend (see: cowboy hat, gut, mustache). Even if that cover is a farce, you can bet the album will sound as bad as it looks.

I get a lot of shit for this every time I say it, but if it bothers anyone, consider it subjective.

When were they ever great? When were they ever anything but generic alternative rock? They've always sounded studio, not including Pinkerton, which is basically just noise. Don't get me wrong, I love their earlier stuff, but I was young and it worked at the time.

Weezer isn't all that different from old Weezer. We grew up. They didn't. And their album art has always sucked, too. (Excluding Pinkerton, just one more time.)

Posted by Mr. Poe | April 22, 2008 1:05 PM

It's all about the unfulfilled promise of Pinkerton, Poe, every last bilious drop.

Posted by Eric Grandy | April 22, 2008 1:09 PM

I've never considered Pinkerton to be Weezer, though. It stands alone. Instead of the typical 1-track brilliance that so many bands produce, it's the all-track CD.

Posted by Mr. Poe | April 22, 2008 1:17 PM

One of the things that has always struck me about Weezer is that they are sort of the alt-pop version of an anthem rock band. What? I mean, people have known about that damn Van Halen ripoff logo for years, and have viewed it with something near to appreciative irony, but perhaps it's time to reconsider its significance. I think the coolest thing I ever heard from Weezer was once upon a time when they were talking about getting so high that one of them woke up one day to find his entire wardrobe replaced with tacky Hawaiian-print shirts.

I mean, that's fucking high.

But if I ever find myself stuck at a Weezer show, you damn well better betcha I'm gonna be one of the assholes shouting, "Freebird!"

The only upshot is that if I absolutely had to listen to conglomerate FM radio, I'd rather hear this than ... um ... I don't know, who is the latest pop-tart do-me skeezy seductress twat to jiggle her way up the charts?

God, I love being not hip.

Posted by bd | April 22, 2008 4:32 PM

In the highly unlikely event that I absolutely had to listen to conglomerate FM radio, I wouldn't do it. I'd settle for nothing, which is better than Weezer, which I don't consider "something". (Anymore, obviously.)

Posted by Mr. Poe | April 22, 2008 5:56 PM

It's all Matt Sharp's fault.

Posted by KeeKee | April 22, 2008 11:54 PM

weezer has always been tongue-in-cheek and ironic, from the very beginning through today. the van halen logo ripoff, the buddy holly video (in fact, most of their videos), the ironic rock-star posturing, etc... it's just not accurate to say they've been doing this kind of stuff only recently. let's face it, pinkerton was one of now nearly six weezer records, so i think it's fair to say the band isn't going to go back and mine that sound again. time to move on. all these pretentious hipsters trashing weezer need to get their heads out of their blogs and realize that music can be funny and self-deprecating. it's like a christopher guest movie: You're either into it and you get it, or you just sit there thinking how ridiculous and bad it is.

Posted by traeden | April 23, 2008 11:44 AM

But Christopher Guest movies are good. I just don't buy that Weezer is somehow "ironically" making terrible records. I get that photos like this one and their logo and even their dubious "nerd" bona fides are tongue-in-cheek, but I think that if Coumo could make a great album instead of the crap Weezer's been turning out post-Pinkerton then he would.

Also, I heard some of their debut album out at a bar last night, and it still sounds great. I have nothing against their poppier, fluffier songs, I just don't think they're exactly triumphing even by those standards these days.

Posted by Eric Grandy | April 23, 2008 12:15 PM