« Tour de Force | Today's Music News »

Thursday, April 3, 2008

It’s Official: NKOTB Will Reunite

posted by on April 3 at 10:55 AM

nkotbphoto.jpg

Via AP:

BOSTON - They may be pushing 40, but the New Kids are returning to the block. The Boston boy band New Kids on the Block, which sold 70 million albums in the 1980s and early 1990s, has reunited and plans to release a new album and go on tour. The reunion comes 20 years after the release of the group’s multi-platinum album, “Hanging Tough.” The group released a new photo Wednesday and reportedly will appear on the Today show Friday morning — the same time an unmarked countdown clock on http://www.nkotb.com ends.

“The fan response to this has been incredible,” band member Donnie Wahlberg told the Boston Herald.

Wahlberg said he was convinced to get back together with his former bandmates — Joey McIntyre, brothers Jordan and Jonathan Knight and Danny Wood — when they decided to record new music. Wahlberg said he wrote 80 percent of the new material with McIntyre and Jordan Knight.

I had always heard a rumour that NKOTB's Jordan Knight had a contract with Lou Pearlman stating that none of NKOTB were allowed to collaborate with Jordan without Lou Pearlman's direct consent and advisory.

I think it's kind of interesting that they got back together shortly after he went to jail.

Posted by godsactionfigure | April 3, 2008 12:10 PM

They look like a who's who of personal assistants Shirley might have fired from Crane, Poole & Schmitt

Posted by Old Temps In The Office | April 3, 2008 1:51 PM

*swoon*

My sister got a NKOTB ken doll for her birthday once, and my dad CUT THE PONYTAIL OFF. And the earring. My sister and I were both scarred for life fro my dad's random bout of conservatism. That said I will think thrice before bringing a pony-tailed, earringed man to dinner at my parents' house.

Posted by Katelyn | April 3, 2008 2:22 PM

I'm picturing all this mid-thirties women screaming at a New Kids concert but having to sit through all the new material first. It ain't nostalgia if it's not old.

Posted by Jason Josephes | April 3, 2008 2:48 PM

I'm not proud of it, but I'm very excited about this.

Posted by als | April 3, 2008 3:24 PM

Oh man. They're not even a little bit cute anymore. I'm looking at the high-res picture on nkotb.com, and left-to-right, they look like they work at Macy's, Enterprise Rent-a-Car, Ace Hardware, Aflac, and Denny's.

@4: I attended a Hanson concert a couple years ago; the phenomenon was the same. I imagine it'll be a hundred times more pronounced for these guys, though.

Posted by Christin | April 3, 2008 3:26 PM