« Songs Are Just Something to Wa... | Band T-Shirt Quilting with Jim... »

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Jenny Bendel Leaves King Cobra, Goes to Slim’s Last Chance

posted by on April 1 at 10:56 AM

King Cobra announced last week that Jenny Bendel has left her booking position at the new Capitol Hill venue, and is now booking for Slim’s Last Change in Georgetown. “She decided to move on because of creative differences,” said booker Jason Rothman is a press release. “She will be finishing out her scheduled shows at King Cobra, and we wish her luck.”

King Cobra’s co-owner Jamie Garza tells me that he, Jason Rothman, Josh Kennedy, and co-owner Che Sabado will be booking the venue.

I e-mailed Jenny to see what her plans are with the newish Georgetown bar. Their calendar could use some beefing up—right now they just have a few weekend shows booked and a Thursday night DJ.

I read this same post in the Seattle Weekly music blog (the one you say no one reads) last week.

Posted by Jeff | April 1, 2008 11:42 AM

@1: I've never said no one reads that blog.

Posted by Megan Seling | April 1, 2008 11:52 AM

Posted by dying slowly | April 1, 2008 11:53 AM

@3: How dare you, sir!

Posted by Eric Grandy | April 1, 2008 11:57 AM

@4: Oh my apologies! Please let this be a preemptive strike at curbing the onslaught on king cobra employee backlash.
I'm sorry i don't share your love of generic guitar rock and leather jackets.

Posted by dying slowly | April 1, 2008 12:15 PM

you boys should hook up, slap some Elliot Smith on, and write a solo album about it.

Posted by bobcat | April 1, 2008 12:40 PM

Oh snap! (insert mediocre gay and or indie rock insult here) ___________________.

Posted by dying slowly | April 1, 2008 12:48 PM

Elliot Smith wasn't gay, nor indie rock. He was on Dreamworks.

Try again.

Posted by Jeff | April 1, 2008 1:10 PM

I drive past Slim's every day on my way to and from work and have wondered about it. Neat.

Posted by lunge | April 1, 2008 1:20 PM
Posted by dying slowly | April 1, 2008 1:32 PM

uh Jeff, you're not to bright are you? Just a tad slow?
the comment #6 was more aimed at making fun of Eric and myself and how we are sad arty indie rock boys who don't like tough manly rock. Then comment was #7 was making fun of bobcats poor attempt at a insult. Nothing really to do with Elliot Smith or what category his music falls under or what label association he may have had. Does that help? We can go slower.

Posted by dying slowly | April 1, 2008 1:38 PM

Eric, why are you trying to ruin King Cobra's chance of success by stabbing All-Ages in the faaaaace???

Posted by christopher hong | April 1, 2008 1:38 PM

Don't click that link in #10, someone has to resort to mean tricks because his brain doesn't function fast enough to reply vocally, so when in doubt revert to lashing out.

Posted by dying slowly did not post @10 | April 1, 2008 1:46 PM

Dying slowly,

What do you have to gain by King Cobra closing? Do you work for a competing club? Promoter?

You don't like generic leather-jacket rock. Ok. That's fine. Me either.

I can't stand swing music either, but I am not trying to run the Century Ballroom out of business nor will I celebrate the coming demise of that building.

Yes I am dumb and slow. The typos in your post suggest we might have that in common.

Oh, as the kids say, SNAP.

Posted by Jeff | April 1, 2008 1:46 PM

so, what's going on here? what was being booked that won't be booked anymore? what will be booked now? just curious...

Posted by infrequent | April 1, 2008 1:56 PM

OK, sorry i insulted you Jeff, but other than a repeated 'was' i don't see any typos in my posting... I don't want King Cobra to close in the least, I want them to make better decisions on how to run a rock club in its location.

Posted by dying slowly did not post @10 | April 1, 2008 1:56 PM

Jeff makes a good point, I should try to get the Century Ballroom shut down. Damn kids and their zoot suits!

Posted by Eric Grandy | April 1, 2008 1:57 PM

Dying Slowly wrote:

I want them to make better decisions on how to run a rock club in its location.

Good news, it looks like they need a booking agent. Perhaps you should apply.

Posted by Jeff | April 1, 2008 2:04 PM

You won't get better rock booking at King Cobra with the departure of Jenny Bendel - you'll get more faux-rock Capitol Hill-centric (dare is say poser?) booking instead.

I went to a goodly number of King Cobra shows, and most of them drew very well indeed, and in particular actually got people who live outside of the neighborhood to brave the considerable hassle of parking on the Hill to attend.

Welcome to the rebirth of Spinal Tap - we hope you like our new direction....

Posted by Mr. X | April 1, 2008 2:25 PM

thats cool eric can talk shit about someone that advertises in your gossip rag and pays your bills!

Posted by dying slowly | April 1, 2008 2:27 PM

how was eric talking shit. why does everything always turn into to a "fuck eric grandy post"???

Posted by dying slowly did not post @10 or 20 | April 1, 2008 2:30 PM

Please give them a break. They are pretty new at running a club that size. That fact isn't necessarily a bad thing. Taking chances is part of running a successful business.

If booking people moving to a different club was the sign of the demise of a club then we would be hearing the wailing all over town.

There are plenty of people who are not interested in the typical music selection of the other clubs on Capitol Hill. I am one of them. These patrons enjoy the louder end of the spectrum that King Cobra is providing. I don't understand why understanding this is such an issue for the SLOG contributors.

(P.S. I'm just kiddin' Eric.)

Posted by fuck eric grandy post | April 1, 2008 3:36 PM

You retards are all fired.

Posted by Tim Keck | April 1, 2008 4:11 PM

I'm in the Jenny Bendel fan club. She rocks Seattle. And I think she's hooked up super cheap transportation between Slim's and Capitol Hill; $10 was the quote I got. Much cheaper than a cab.

Probably worth it to go hang with DJ Hubba Hubba on a Thursday!

Posted by High Priest Sethalicious | April 2, 2008 12:19 PM

"Step one in the inevitable slow downward spiral. Bad Taste is fine for a bar but not a bar with live music."

Taste in art and music is so subjective, I always find it pretty pathetic when people try to insult the art or music others like. It definitely says more about you than anything else. Why can't you stick to the clubs you like without pissing on the music and clubs others like? Need a diaper or something?

Posted by dan10things | April 2, 2008 3:38 PM