« Japanther @ the Punkin House, ... | Eurovision Semi Final 1-3 »

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Mid 90s R&B is Back! (in indie rock form)

posted by on April 19 at 13:36 PM

The Gossip - “Are You That Somebody (Live in Liverpool)”

Klaxons - No Diggity

LATE pass

Posted by ndrwmtsn | April 19, 2008 2:37 PM

The Klaxons song has been around a few months, but that Gossip video is brand new. Step off with yr late shit.

Posted by Jeff Kirby | April 19, 2008 3:37 PM

Limp off with your giving a shit.

Posted by Mr. Hot Shit 5 Seconds Ago | April 19, 2008 4:35 PM

Scout Niblett did "No Scrubs" at her recent Chop Suey show. It's everywhere. Maybe I'll start working on that Bone Thugs cover . . .

Posted by Levislade | April 19, 2008 4:43 PM

ok, ok the video IS new

the cover is old tho

Posted by ndrwmtsn | April 19, 2008 4:52 PM

The Gossip should play the Block Party. Seriously.

Posted by Dod | April 19, 2008 7:20 PM

Fleet Foxes should cover Ginuwine's "Pony."

Posted by Jethro | April 19, 2008 9:26 PM

My goodness, I'm all for positive body image, strong women and all that, but seriously, c'mon Beth ... just stop.

Anyway, I don't need some indie rock band to tell me "Are You That Somebody" is a dope song. I knew that when it was on the charts.

Posted by gasp | April 20, 2008 1:42 AM

@8...what? if you're really "all for" those things than what's your problem with Beth? "Just stop" what?

also, nobody is telling you to think anything. besides, who DIDN'T like "Are You That Somebody" when it first came out?

Posted by ass gasp | April 21, 2008 10:37 AM

"Just stop" dressing like you're 125 pounds when you're really 250. Pretty simple, I'd say.

If that's too unPC for you, then "just stop" making music. Goodness gracious that band sucks.

Posted by gasp | April 21, 2008 12:51 PM

I like the Gossip cover.

The Klaxon cover sounds too much like the original to be anything special.

Posted by tabletop_joe | April 21, 2008 4:32 PM

Yeah, the minimalist sound works for AYTS, but my god is that outfit unflattering. Nothing against plus-size ladies, but clearly not everything works for everyone.

Posted by shub-negrorath | April 21, 2008 6:26 PM

That's what I'm saying, yo. Look, I'm not hatin' on fat chicks, and I don't think she oughta wear a muumuu or something like that, but c'mon...this is not good, not good at all.

Posted by gasp | April 21, 2008 8:56 PM

gasp, you are an idiot. i love that she dresses like that.

i bought the dvd and she has a few monologues about being yourself and not giving a fuck what anybody thinks about you. she walks her talk and it just happens to be visually shocking.

i buy into the gossip in a big way, and that's because the gossip buys into the gossip, too.

it's funny how much shame we want women to have if they are fat. we mandate at least a little. that beth ditto has none infuriates people, but that's some self-hate-turned-outward shit!

Posted by ndrwmtsn | April 22, 2008 1:10 PM

Can we not get a Beth Ditto/Bradford Cox collaboration up in here already?

Posted by Eric Grandy | April 22, 2008 2:06 PM

Bradford Cox and Beth Ditto's band name?

(C'mon, gimme props for that one.)

Posted by gasp | April 22, 2008 10:55 PM