« Idolator Cut From Gawker Media | Blue Scholars: Scratch & Skyli... »

Monday, April 14, 2008

Name That Tune

posted by on April 14 at 10:26 AM

de%20la%20soul2.jpg

Dear hiphop know-it-alls: What is the De la Soul song containing the phrase, “Diane, Diane…”?

I can hear it in my head, and if I had to, I’d guess it was on …is Dead, but I also get the feeling that one of the Line Out smarties (lar, Ndrwmtsn, I’m looking at you) has the information hanging out in his brain.

Thanks for your help.

Posted by brian | April 14, 2008 10:46 AM

Re: 1: Hm...the reference to the hair made by Diane got my hopes up (and made me wonder if my De la Soul ID was off-base) but no, that isn't it.

Thanks for playing, please try again.

Posted by David Schmader | April 14, 2008 10:59 AM

i want to know the answer but i don't.

perhaps it is somewhere in here:

Posted by ndrwmtsn | April 14, 2008 1:20 PM

Are you sure it's not the Jungle Brothers' U Make Me Sweat?

Fall came around and she forgot my name
Diane, diane, I don't understand (oh diane!)
You're out of this world, you know what girl?

Posted by C | April 14, 2008 1:21 PM

glad you brought this up, though: i haven't listened to de la in a while and today is just rainy enough for stakes is high, all the way through.

Posted by ndrwmtsn | April 14, 2008 1:22 PM

C got it

Posted by ndrwmtsn | April 14, 2008 1:23 PM

Here's that JB's video too:

Posted by C | April 14, 2008 1:24 PM

Clicking on the link to this from the Slog (which included no mention of the Soul De La), I was actually thinking "Wow, I'd never have pegged Schmader as a Husker Du fan..."

Posted by pgreyy | April 14, 2008 1:46 PM

Sorry, that wasn't a video. i posted before i watch it.

Posted by C | April 14, 2008 2:05 PM

Jungle Brothers! Thank you, C, that is indeed what I'm looking for. (Done by the Forces of Nature, home as well to "Belly-Dancing Dina," which I've been trying--unsuccessfully--to get Dina Martina to incorporate into her act.)

As for Sir PGreyy: I am a humongous Husker Du fan. HUMONGOUS. (Fave Mould song: "Chartered Trips." Fave Hart song: "Terms of Psychic Warfare" tied with "Sorry Somehow.")

Posted by David Schmader | April 14, 2008 2:34 PM

there's been a lot of recent scuttlebutt re: the sexuality of Jungle Bros' Afrika Baby Bam...

Posted by lar | April 15, 2008 1:38 AM