« Tonight in Music: Snuggle, Sub... | Today's Music News »

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

No, I Don’t Only Listen to Pop Punk From 1997 and Eric Grandy Doesn’t Only Listen to Daft Punk

posted by on April 2 at 10:00 AM

And we can prove it, motherfuckers.

The Stranger has its very own Last.fm account, so now you can see what everyone in the office is listening to while working on the paper (or, in some cases, reading blogs instead of working on the paper).

For example, this week’s issue (on stands later today), was brought to you by:

lastfmscreen.JPG

We’ve also been listening to the Idle Race, the White Stripes, Modest Mouse, Radiohead, Thee Oh Sees, Notorious B.I.G., Big Black, Sleater-Kinney, Aqueduct, Styx, Scout Niblett… it goes on and on.

Last.fm is pretty cool. You can type in a favorite artist and it’ll create a random playlist of similar artists based on what other people who like that band are also listening to. And it’s free. And it has a lot of songs available for free streaming, so if you have a craving for, say, Alkaline Trio’s “Cooking Wine,” but you don’t have that song in your iTunes, you can log on and hear it.

Visit our profile, www.last.fm/user/seattlestranger, and see what we’re listening to right this very second. And if you have a last.fm account, be our friend. We’d love to share music with you.

I'm pretty sure I'm responsible for most of that playlist. Sorry about the Redd Kross obsession.

Posted by Ari Spool | April 2, 2008 10:07 AM

Oooh, someone was listening to Ball of Wax 11. Nice.

Posted by Levislade | April 2, 2008 10:10 AM

who the hell is listening to DropDead? that's awesome.

Posted by brian cook | April 2, 2008 10:10 AM

welcome to 2006!

haha

best thing is making the 'recently played' boxes. you can post em in your forum profiles/ myspace etc and bug the fuck out of everyone with your immense collection of Weird Al mp3s.

Dare to be stupid, yall.

Posted by bobcat | April 2, 2008 10:24 AM

worst thing is when you forget to turn off the scrobbling and your partner listens to a bunch of whitney houston and american idol on your laptop. my account is such a mess.

Posted by brian cook | April 2, 2008 10:33 AM

Yeah right, your partner. I know you wanna dance with somebody, Brian. With somebody who loves you.

Posted by Eric Grandy | April 2, 2008 11:13 AM

I swear someone came in during lunch and played all that Kajagoogoo and uh, yeah that Hall n' Oates wasn't mine either

Posted by bobcat | April 2, 2008 11:22 AM

pandora.com is better imo

Posted by dfjks | April 2, 2008 11:40 AM

I ponied up the money to be a full subscriber. Last.Fm is a good cause/site to donate to...

When you watch videos on your iPod, those get logged as songs too, btw.

Posted by mackro mackro | April 2, 2008 1:07 PM

You can easily listen to music through Pandora and have it automatically scrobbled to your last.fm stats. Mix and match.

Posted by rk | April 2, 2008 1:24 PM

Psh. Mine is better.

Posted by Mr. Poe | April 2, 2008 1:59 PM

@9 - Subscribe to whatever you want, but I wouldn't exactly call the CBS-owned last.fm a "good cause."

Posted by Levislade | April 2, 2008 2:08 PM

Oh, you are so going to be my last.fm friend now!

Posted by Patrick | April 2, 2008 2:08 PM
Posted by grrrr | April 2, 2008 2:15 PM
Posted by donte | April 2, 2008 2:46 PM

Does this include Dan's music?

Posted by Lloyd Cooney | April 2, 2008 2:51 PM

Levi@12: if the folks at last.fm remain intact post-acquisition and are still getting paid, it's still a good cause.

Unless there are recent last.fm atrocities you can shed light on?

Posted by mackro mackro | April 2, 2008 3:05 PM

I'm not saying they're a bad organization, I'm just saying it's not like they're a non-profit or a shoestring company holed up in someone's basement. When I think "Good Cause" I think saving the environment, or Obama for president, not wholly owned subsidiary of CBS.

Posted by Levislade | April 2, 2008 5:43 PM

CBS had the D&D cartoons on saturday mornings.

For that they get all the support I can give them.

Posted by bobcat | April 2, 2008 6:20 PM