« Prince Covers Radiohead at Coa... | What's the Point of Offering a... »

Monday, April 28, 2008

re: Prince Covers Radiohead at Coachella

posted by on April 28 at 11:05 AM

I wish Prince were coming to Sasquatch.

Partly because critics are freaking out over his Coachella gig (Idolator: “Prince takes Coachella to school”), but mostly because I love Prince as an idea, as The Perfect American, but I’ve never seen him play.

And Prince doesn’t seem like the kind of musician you can really learn to love on records alone (unless you’re a kid, because kids have projectile imaginations that hurl them into the world of the record they’re listening to, which is why kids can and do fall in love with Prince in their bedrooms). But for stunted adults like me, who came to Prince late, the records are groovy but just don’t make it.

I need to see The Perfect American live.

prince460.jpg

Why the Perfect American? Because Prince is all things to all people, the ideal American synthesis—ethnically, sexually, gender-wise, fashion-wise. He’s a dandy and a rocker, a warm epicurean and a cold futurist. A prancing woodland creature in velvet and a slick technophile in vinyl. A decadent, Old-World aristocrat and a New-World evangelist for the democracy of the dance club.

(One of my favorite stories about Prince comes from a radio DJ, who used to DJ at clubs in Minneapolis. Prince would run into the club super early in the morning, after working all night on a new song, and hand the DJ a flimsy little test pressing to play. Then he’d stand in the center of the floor, listening and watching. This, Prince said, was the only way to know if a song would work—to hear it on big club speakers and to watch it on the bodies around him.)

Miles Davis adored him.

Charlie Murphy lost to him at basketball.

Tipper Gore founded the Parent Music Resource Center after she heard her 12-year-old daughter listening to “Darling Nikki.”

He actually convinced the American public to refer to him as “the Artist Formerly Known As Prince.”

He’s a hypersexed vegan Jehovah’s Witness.

Prince is America.

prince_of_persia_prince.jpg

(Now all I have to do is learn to like his music…)

Charlie Murphy, you mean.

Posted by matt | April 28, 2008 11:14 AM

Yes. That's what I mean. I've got to stop with the morning glue-sniffing.

Posted by Brendan Kiley | April 28, 2008 11:17 AM

Thing is, the Prince show was just ok, at least for a Prince show. His last show at Key Arena was better. It definitely dragged after the first song, and more than a few people left.

Posted by Meinert | April 28, 2008 11:40 AM

what's with all this new love for prince?
i remember when he played the key arena a few years ago and they were giving those tickets away. i paid $1.25 for my nosebleed seats and the place looked half full. they were also giving his latest cd away for free at the door. the whole night had a hint of desperation to it.

what am i missing?

Posted by kdiddy | April 28, 2008 1:20 PM

That Prince show at Key Arena was amazing. The free CDs were included in the ticket price, and resulted in Prince having his first number one record in years. (Everyone who bought a ticket to the show bought a copy of the CD!)

As for why now? He's brilliant, and there will be Prince resurgences every five years or so for the rest of our lives.

Posted by David Schmader | April 28, 2008 2:08 PM

I had to play in front of him once. That guy scared the shit out of me. Tiny dude, terrifying presence. I like him a lot.

Posted by t | April 28, 2008 4:29 PM

I am pretty sure that Sasquatch can't afford Prince.

Posted by josh | April 28, 2008 10:26 PM

i heard he fires his roadies if they look him in the eye. no joke.

Posted by jon e. rock | April 29, 2008 9:38 AM

Prince is also weirdly ageless. Have you seen the Coachella photos? He looks amazing - he's what, almost 50?

But yeah, the guy's a genius. We forget this every once in awhile so he's forced to come back and remind us every few years.

Posted by cygne | April 29, 2008 1:46 PM

I'm a total metalhead, and I love Prince because why? Because of his awesome guitar riffs. I'm serious, people don't think of his music that way, but I do. He shreds.

Posted by Yr Skull | April 29, 2008 2:22 PM