« Back Street Lovin' | Today's Music News »

Friday, April 4, 2008

Rodeo Plays in Belgium Prison, Finds Dildo

posted by on April 4 at 12:05 PM

Brent Amaker and the Rodeo played inside the maximum security Hoogstraten Prison in Antwerp. Near riot. I asked them about it:

How did you all get booked at a prison in Antwerp?
Rodeo: Not exactly sure. Prisons are terrible places. The walls of this place were covered with framed posters of American prison films. They were EVERYWHERE. I asked our host Herwig about the posters. He said, “They are from the warden’s collection. He brings them in and puts them up. The prisoners don’t like, but…”

rodeoprisonposter.jpg

Where in the prison did you play?
The room where we set up looked like a high school auditorium. It was a packed house with inmates from the men’s and women’s wings, all seated in plastic chairs. Men up front, ladies in the back row. Serious looking dudes right up front. Sour faces.

How’d it go?
It was a mixed reaction. Some were smiling and trying to have a good time (Herwig says it’s tough to transfer so quickly from dealing with prison life to trying to enjoy a show), some were quiet, some were rowdy and shouting. Prisoners were exchanging things and trying to hide it from the guards. One guy kept standing up and yelling “Fuck you, America!”

rodeoprison.jpg

We played, went to a backstage area, and then there was a problem returning the prisoners to their cells. Everyone was up and yelling. The men made moves toward the women and the guards started to look overwhelmed. Herwig came backstage, totally bug-eyed, and asked us to get back on stage to draw everyone’s attention. We bust ass, throwing on our guitars, get on stage and play “Howdy Do!” from the new album. The “Fuck America” guy is out of his seat and screaming.

Note to all European prison wardens: “Howdy Do” will stop a riot before it starts. Not joking! By the second chorus, they were all clapping along and singing “HOWDY DO” back at us.

So none of the inmates escaped?
Actually, the day after our show, two inmates broke out and have not been caught. Seriously. We’re keeping an eye out for them.

Damn, be careful. Hide your hats. Anything else happen?
Well, at our hotel in Brussels our bass player Sugar found a purple dildo underneath his pillow. It’s with us now and it’s not going to be leaving us anytime soon.

rodeodildo.jpg

(Pictures by: Johnny Podhradsky)

Umm....that rules.

Posted by Ari Spool | April 4, 2008 12:24 PM

Wow, awesome. Purple dildo, now that is classic!

Posted by Novicane | April 4, 2008 12:30 PM

I don't know why, but there's something catchy about Cowboys in European prisons and purple dildos.

Posted by trent moorman | April 4, 2008 12:31 PM

this is a saucy post.

my favorite is the warden that collects/displays prison movie posters, life is too rich

Posted by lar | April 4, 2008 12:50 PM

Oxford better just recognize awesomer as a word because Brett Amaker and The Rodeo's story just seems to get awesomer and awesomer.

Posted by ...Plus It Rhymes Good With Gossamer | April 4, 2008 1:00 PM

AND the name of the person who finds the dildo is Sugar.

Posted by trent moorman | April 4, 2008 1:12 PM

That last picture is classic -

Dear Mom and Dad, here I am in this beautiful country. I just played a prison in Belgium where there were prison movie posters on the wall and an almost riot. But we played Howde Do and everything was fine. Then! I found a large purple dildo under my pillow. The veins on this thing are like rivers.

Don't worry about me, I'm fine.

Love,

Sugar

Posted by HHouse | April 4, 2008 8:34 PM

When I was in a training program some years ago, one of my co-slaves found a huge black veiny dildo in a restroom. It became our mascot, and floated around the department for the better part of a year, poking it's head out of hiding at the MOST inopportune times.

I think someone eventually took it home, but no one would cop to it.

Posted by rk | April 4, 2008 8:58 PM
Posted by rk | April 4, 2008 9:49 PM

"Riot in Juvenile Prison". That is great rk! Thank you for putting those up. That girl is showing her slip. Completely unacceptable.

"The shock by shock story of a co-ed reform school for delinquents."

This story has wayward all over it. It might be too much for me to handle.

Shock by shock story. I gotta start using that.

Posted by trent moorman | April 5, 2008 1:52 AM

Oh my. We may have lost The Rodeo to the Europeans. I mean, how can we compete with this kind of comedic chaos? Dorkweed? Indeed.

Posted by Jimmi | April 5, 2008 11:05 AM