« Dan Deacon - "Okie Dokie" | Street Musician in San Francis... »

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Weezer - “Pork and Beans”

posted by on April 17 at 10:58 AM

It was supposed to be released next week, but a leak forced the band to release it early.

Visit www.weezer.com to hear the full version of “Pork and Beans.”

I’m listening to it right now… I really dig the huge, power pop chorus. It gives me a little hope for the new record.

Wait, did he really just sing “Timbaland knows the way to reach the top of the chart/Maybe if I work with him I can perfect the art”?

Sigh.

Hope = shattered.

shouldn't we have learned not to expect much lyrically from weezer? from the very beginning they were talking about weird things like destroyed sweaters and homies dissing girls.

pork and beans is certainly all over the place lyrically, but i actually love the song. it's got the classic weezer crunch and affective yet very basic melodies. has pork and beans changed my life? no. but it's not really supposed to anyway. it's just fun, well-done power pop!

Posted by traeden | April 17, 2008 11:46 AM

It's a great fantasy world where Weezer wears Timberlands thinking that will propel them to a hit single.

Posted by Ross | April 17, 2008 2:13 PM

@2 Ha! Sorry about that. I fixed it to Timbaland.

Posted by Megan Seling | April 17, 2008 2:25 PM

I dismissed Weezer years ago as a novelty act. Thanks to Youtube I saw the videos from the Pinkerton era - started downloading their back catalogue & was really impressed. I now think Rivers Cuomo may be the most under appreciated artist of the 90's. How did "The Good Life" & "Jamie" not become radio staples? Sure it may not be 'groundbreaking' music but it's a hell of a lot more fun to listen to than 99% of the noise being produced these days. You want lyrics with a little more substance try "El Scorcho" or "In the Garage". If you the back story to "Pork & Beans" you would know it refers to a fight he had with Geffen about not producing 'commercial' music. I mean we wouldn't want another 'Pinkerton' would we?...oh wait...

Posted by DavidC | April 17, 2008 3:07 PM

I do like this song more than that first single off the last album 'Beverly Hills'.

Posted by Patrick | April 17, 2008 3:31 PM