Line Out: Music & Nightlife

RSS icon Comments on Both Sides of the Trip

I was very torn about the Mars Volta. I really like their albums, but I didn't think they could play the songs live. I was somewhat right, but I still enjoyed them. My friends, not so much.

You were dead on about the dark side of tripping reference. I would not have been happy if I was on shrooms. Then again the Lips would have made my head explode with joy if I was.

Posted by wisepunk | May 27, 2008 2:26 PM

I had that exact same thought about Mars Volta.. how if I were on acid, I would have to be carted off in an ambulance, strapped to a gurney Britney-style. The sheer volume of their set turned me off completely--I could not concentrate on the musicality at all because my cochlea was screaming for mercy. None of the other bands that played this weekend were so abrasively loud, no wonder it was driving people away.

Posted by Jen | May 27, 2008 2:58 PM

I didn't make it past their second song. Seeing them try to break the live video camera, assault a photographer in the pit, and throw instruments and equipment at the crowd during their opener was enough.

Posted by josh | May 27, 2008 11:53 PM

I can't imagine how the Mars Volta's live show would translate to a festival crowd. They are definitely best experienced in a club where sound and energy can be transferred.

Posted by bunnypuncher | May 28, 2008 2:44 AM

Re: The Mars Volta. The enjoyable vs. good debate reminds me of the big prog discussion a few months ago. Musicians respect Rush, but does anyone actually like their music?

I like the Mars Volta recorded music, but watching live videos of them on YouTube kind of dissuades me from ever wanting to see them live for the exact reason you gave.

Posted by JJ Hellgate | May 28, 2008 9:24 AM

stop being such little fucking bitches. "if i was on acid, if i was on shrooms". take that shit to the campsite. im here to rock out with my big dick and drink free beers (thanks wristband). soon as i saw him throw the shit offstage, I knew i was in for the show of my life. if they had naked bitches on stage*, it would be a no brainer who stole the show.

Posted by kurt fambis | May 28, 2008 2:38 PM

Ha, coming from someone who WAS tripping hard on mushrooms for both sets, you hit the nail on the head. I decided after 5 minutes that I was going to hang on through the show, even if for dear life. My 4 other friends on acid had to leave at the same time. As horrified as I was by the volume, dissonance and darkness, I was utterly fascinated by the sexy cat-like screaming banshee of the underworld that is Cedric Bixler. The rain and thunderstorms rushing towards the gorge completed the experience. The Lips, on the other hand, immediately convinced me that I was having the best night of my life. I smoked Js with teletubbies at the front of the stage while watching beautiful naked ladies projected on two 50 foot high LCD screens on either side of a spaceship spewing confetti and rainbow balloons. Professional psychedelic silliness. I do believe that the the lump sum of the $90 that 22,000 people spent 3 days in a row went into that show, and I am glad. See you all next year.

Posted by Elise Burnett | May 28, 2008 11:29 PM