« Trailer for 924 Gilman St. Doc... | Season of the Witch @ Moe Bar »

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Built to Spill Announce “Perfect From Now On” Tour Dates

posted by on May 28 at 15:16 PM

And Seattle is not on the list.

Fuuuudge.

I will never forgive them for this.

Posted by Megan Seling | May 28, 2008 3:49 PM

Me either! The good news is that the Halo Benders will be the super-secret suprise guest headliners at the Block Party.

Posted by Chirp | May 28, 2008 4:02 PM

The first US tour date starts suspiciously close to Bumbershoot. I'm just sayin'...

Posted by Grrr | May 28, 2008 4:07 PM

Good point, Grrr. Although this is just the excuse I was looking for to make my semi-annual trip to SF. Last year was to see SY do Daydream Nation in Berkeley. I wonder who it'll be next year...

Posted by pablocjr | May 28, 2008 4:27 PM

Whoa, they're playing Pappy and Harriet's? Hearing this there, under the stars sounds tremendously close to perfection.

Posted by rlv | May 28, 2008 5:46 PM

Well, it's some consolation that Portland isn't on the list either.

Posted by rk | May 28, 2008 9:17 PM

I'm a BTS fan, and I love Perfect From Now On. I'm also a Sonic Youth fan, and Daydream Nation is one of my favorite albums of all time.

I'm not going to tell these bands what to do, obviously, as these play-the-classic-album tours probably bring in revenue. But, hat tip to friends for the following terms, the whole trend of these entire-album tours feels like a spectrum of 90s rock touring museums.

I don't want to go to rock show and feel like I'm at a fucking museum. A reunion show is one thing, as it allows some level of surprise and/or innovation to be exhibited, even if all the songs performed are old. But when you already know exactly what songs are going to be performed, in the exact order, there's even less room for surprise. At least in actual museums, there's a sense of seeing a piece before your very eyes that you don't get to experience every day. But you can listen to a band's album every day several times a day if you wish. In brief: NEW IDEAS PLEASE.

I know I'm in the Andy Rooney-esque minority in feeling a bit put out by this trend. And I'll be surprised if this touring-the-album thing will last beyond 2009.

When a young Ben Weasel wrote a snivelling article in Maximum Rock N Roll in the late 80s about how many arty college rock groups were just metaphors for 70s AOR (which, to Ben, was a really awful thing), I laughed my ass off -- at Ben. I still do, but now that his metaphor is proving to be quite accurate, it's even more saddening.

Posted by mackro mackro | May 29, 2008 9:56 AM

damn...I still have yet to see them live.

Posted by Notorious T.H.I.G | May 29, 2008 10:15 AM