« Tonight in Music: Colin Meloy,... | I Want to Meet That Dad »

Friday, May 2, 2008

Do You Have Hexameters for New York?

posted by on May 2 at 12:57 PM

iloveny.jpg

Tonight at the Showbox, rumor has it that Colin Meloy will be adapting his musical compositions to transcripts of the second season of the reality show, I Love New York. The juxtaposition has intrigue and improbability, but Meloy makes it work. When he sings, “Do you have love for New York?” there is rapture. Meloy has moved on from ancient Japanese folk tales.

When boiled down, Meloy’s dactylic hexameter filled interpretation shows New York to be Homer’s Odysseus in an epic search for men and harmony. The overbearing presence of New York’s mother goes beyond the Telemachus – Penelope dynamic and enters into a Zeus - Mother oedipal God washed combo.

Meloy climaxes with a startling revelation that he is the one who really has love for New York. While the last two contestants accompany New York to the picturesque 5 Star resort in Ithaca for the final showdown, Meloy laments that he himself is not in the running to be New York’s man.

What a fucking idiot.

Posted by Mr. Poe | May 2, 2008 1:57 PM

I assure you, Mr. Poe, my feelings are mutual.

Posted by trent moorman | May 2, 2008 2:10 PM

Good: Because I was initially going to comment on how I didn't notice a touch of ridicule in your post, but figured I would have sounded like a fucking idiot, so I didn't.

Posted by Mr. Poe | May 2, 2008 3:31 PM

I wish I had never read the words "Meloy climaxes," but oh well. (My eyes, my eyes, the goggles do nothing, etc.)

Posted by Eric Grandy | May 2, 2008 4:06 PM

Meloy previously recorded a cd where he transcribed shows of the Golden Girls. He never released it though.

I guess we will have to wait for when he starts putting out his rarities.

Posted by Glen | May 2, 2008 9:06 PM