« Ship It | Hey Hey It's Massive Monkee Da... »

Saturday, May 3, 2008

Favorite Lyric and Book of the Day, Unrelated

posted by on May 3 at 13:30 PM

From the stellar “Good Friday” off of Why?’s latest album, Alopecia:

“Sending sexy SMSs to my ex’s new man ‘cause I can”

Jesus! Just look at that thing! Look at the internal rhyme and consonance involved. Look at the amount of narrative and character crammed into just 11 words. Check out how he says “SMSs” when a lesser MC would’ve just said “text messages.” When you listen to it, it sounds like Yoni Wolf’s voice is climbing a up little hill, then falling down, flat. That is one hell of lyric.

Also, on an unrelated note, I just finished reading Carl Wilson’s 33 1/3 book on Celine Dion’s Let’s Talk About Love, A Journey to the End of Taste, and, to add my voice to what I’m sure is already an exhausted chorus of consensus, it is required reading for anyone who has ever cared (too much) about music.

How has no one posted about Colin Meloy covering "King of Carrot Flowers" last night!?

Posted by Nick | May 3, 2008 2:07 PM

yeah that's good, but you could say the same about almost any alopecia lyric (because it's crammed with genius).

my favorite lyric of the day?
"do the hokey pokey/ and change your life around"
-3 stacks

Posted by ndrwmtsn | May 3, 2008 3:10 PM

matson, i think you're crammed with genius on the reg

Posted by lar | May 3, 2008 3:53 PM

i'll cram you with genius

Posted by ndrwmtsn | May 3, 2008 3:56 PM

"lyric of the day" should be a regular feature. i think that in relation to the rhyme scheme, "text messages" would have worked as well, but i agree with you, grandy: yoni wolf usually sinks the three where lesser lyricists would have just taken the layup. one of the best lines on the why? album is "i sleep on my back 'cause it's good for the spine/and coffin rehersal."

my lyric of the day: "he's a he-she/bitch-ass n*gga for sale!" -ghostface killah

Posted by douglas martin | May 3, 2008 4:10 PM

Oh yeah, that Carl Wilson book is incredible. The "Master of Reality" by John Darnielle 33 1/3 is just as great, although in a much different way. Those two are so outstanding I would recommend them over most much larger, more ambitious biographies and music criticism books about artists with more 'intellectual credibility.' I devolve into hyperbole trying to express my feelings about either of them -- but have actually read passages of the Wilson book to guests in my apartment.

Posted by Chris Estey | May 3, 2008 4:25 PM

that why? album is incredible.
that's all I got.