« The Weirdest Thing at Sasquatc... | Day 3: Sasquatched »

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

In All The Squatch Talk This Weekend…

posted by on May 27 at 11:38 AM

…You may have missed this little post about the Eurovision Song Contest Final, which was held this weekend.

Of particular note is the video that opened up the final show. It was last years Serbian winner Marija Serifovic who sang a Eurodance remix of her winning song, “Molitva”, while a bevy of lesbians interpretive-ly got “married” behind her. Here it is:

The only real smirch on this years Eurovision is that a fascist political group made up of old guard politicians and new guard skin-heads, that is very popular in Serbia, volunteered to beat up and chase out of the country any and all gay fans that would show up for the competition. From what I have heard in news reports, it sounds like that didn’t happen, but it’s too bad that it had to even be threatened by the host country.

A bigger problem for Eurovision next year may be the fact that Russia won this year’s competition. And if there could possibly be a country more fascistic and homophobic than Serbia, that country would be Russia.

Amazingly, Dima Bilan, the singer who brought home the prize for Russia, is about as faggy looking as they come. And I say that as a fag. With the mullet, the over the top vox, the figure skater…. I mean, come on folks. One can hope that Dima might help tamp down some of the hate politics in Russia as they prepare for this large endeavor next year, but I have no real belief a country as fucked up as Russia can face its problems just for the sake of Eurovision.

So see(?!?!), Eurovision does represent more than just irony masked in gay songs, dances and feather boas, as we learned this year from the fact that Serbia was hosting its neighbors who it is ready to go to war against (again!) over silly things like, you know, borders and stuff.

I’d like to send a huge - HUGE - thank you to Griet who braved every single contestant video and gave us such a unique and historic look at Eurovisions past, present and, now, future. That was an awesome job from our intrepid Stranger European Bureau reporter. Thank you so much Griet!

See you next year…

In Russia!

Dima Bilan singing the winning song “Believe”.

I doubt anyone missed it. Mostly because no one in Seattle cared to begin with.

Posted by Jeff | May 27, 2008 11:41 AM

@1 hey asshat, no need to be a douche-nozzle. look at the post i linked and you'll see many people were thankful for griet's posts.

instead of being a dick (easy enough to do on teh anonymous internets) how about just keep your mouth shut and not be a witless troll.

thanks again griet!

Posted by terry miller | May 27, 2008 12:00 PM

Tell me how this is relevant on a blog about music and nightlife in Seattle?

Posted by Jeff | May 27, 2008 12:10 PM

jeff, i know your just trolling, but you do know that line out isn't just about seattle music and nightlife, right? we have posts about old records we like, new records we like, history, classical, touring bands, videos, etc....

thought you might have noticed that, but apparently your a bit daft.

check us out a little more often, and you might get the hang of the whole "blog" thing.

Posted by terry miller | May 27, 2008 12:14 PM

oh and the singer from poland was born and raised in Seattle. zing!

we wrote about it, didn't you see?

Posted by terry miller | May 27, 2008 12:17 PM

Terry, I dig it all. But I missed the point of the Eurovision coverage. There were 9 comments on that article you linked to. 4 of which came from the author of the post. Of those 5 posts, none of them come from people regularly posting here about Seattle music/nightlife.

And again, you came with the personal attacks not me. Calling someone a dick and an asshat for questioning the validity of a post about some European song contest seems a bit much.

Sorry if you are offended, but having a thin skin is a crieteria for working for the Stranger. Good luck.

Posted by Jeff | May 27, 2008 12:21 PM

Jeff, shut up. I comment regularly/participate in Seattle nightlife, and I'm pretty sure I'm commenting on most of those Eurovision posts too. Some people enjoyed this coverage. You're just being a contrary jerk for no reason. Especially on a post that talks a bit more about some of the issues involved.

Anyway, yes, Dima Bilan is ridiculously...ridiculous. Did I talk about how I watched his semi-final video with my Ukrainian co-worker and couldn't keep a straight face? I felt really bad as she's a massive, un-ironic fan of his. But it was just so ridiculous!

Thanks again, Griet!

Posted by Abby | May 27, 2008 12:34 PM

Well, I am here in Vancouver (BC) totally loved the posts and some of my friends did too. So I think (thanks in large to Dan Savage who has international followers who know he works for Stranger) many European Canadians as well as many other people read these posts. As was said above this is the thing about internet if you post something good people will find and read it.

So thanks Griet, it was great (even tho' I totally don't agree with you on Iceland).

Posted by ok | May 27, 2008 5:13 PM

I was lucky enough to have been in Reykjavik this past weekend and got invited to a Eurovision house party by a friend named Porgynr. Turns out the competiton is not about the performers at all...its all politics. The people at the party knew exactly what countries were going to vote for who and why. It was a real lesson in world relations for me coming from Seattle. I felt really leftout. Who knew a silly show like that could make me feel so uninformed about the world. When I told the guys at the party about your blog they said...´is he gay?´ hahaha!

Posted by susan | May 28, 2008 5:06 AM

I just want to point out to everyone who says it's ALL about politics, that Israel won the competition 3 times so far and Israel doesn't have good neighbors that would vote for it, nor do they immigrants in every country. And Russia did very poorly for many years (as they were sending total crap). So there is definitely more than political voting to the Eurovision.

Posted by ok | May 28, 2008 11:15 AM