« Tonight in Music, CD Release P... | Mini Rex »

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Oh yeah! Your Zune is SOOOOOO cool.

posted by on May 20 at 9:07 AM

Every time we post something about Microsoft’s Zune MP3 player, we get all these, “You Apple drones don’t know what your talking about!” comments.

I have never been a fan of the Zune, which was rolled out in the most idiotic way by Microsoft. In classic MS style, they put all sorts of restrictions on its use, and only when they discovered that, “Hey, no one wants to by a useless MP3 player that acts as cop, judge and jury on the purchaser!” did they roll back some of the restrictions.

Well, how about this Zune fans (from the front page of the business section in today’s P-I):

Microsoft Corp.’s Entertainment and Devices Division is full of people thinking about upcoming Xbox 360 video games, Windows Mobile software and Zune music products.

One group in the division does it for a different reason — to figure out how best to put ads in front of the people who use them.

The division’s 40-person advertising business group has been working behind the scenes since October to expand Microsoft’s advertising footprint outside the realm of traditional Internet search and display ads.

On Tuesday, Microsoft is expected to show some of the first results of the group’s work — including a plan to test advertising on the online site Zune Social and, in a limited way, on the Zune music devices themselves.

Okay! I get it! When you release a device that fails to “capture the imaginations” of the public, you just make it worse by putting advertising on it! Can’t wait!

Mark Kroese [head of the Division] acknowledged that users may be sensitive to the idea of advertising on a music device. Overall, he said, the company will use feedback from the pilot program to decide how to proceed.

How about this for some feedback:

Dear Microsoft,

You are the dumbest people on earth if you think this shit will fly.

xo, Terry

And one more time for fun. Here’s that great picture of the egg-shaped-headed John Richards and Mr. Gates.

11-13zunegates_lg.jpg
(Courtesy of Google images and, like, a million websites…)

Dude, the Zune IS cool though. it's freakin durable, holds a ton of music and is easy as fuck to use. Plus you dont have to mess with that iPod scrolly button circle thing, which some of us suck at using.

Plus, you dont have to have iTunes to use it. You can just upload ANY mp3 file on your computer to it.

Posted by E | May 20, 2008 9:47 AM

i can upload any mp3 on my computer to my ipod (now iphone) too? so what if it takes itunes as an app to do it? itunes is awesome at organizing music. (as is the ipod and iphone. very intuitive.)

and i can download stuff from itunes directly to my phone AND play it more than 3 times! AND put it on my computers Itunes too.

and i don't have to look at a doritos ad.

Posted by terry miller | May 20, 2008 9:53 AM

itunes is shit. the way it organizes music is illogical, especially for compilations. if any company other than apple forced you to use a marketplace-based application in order to use a free-standing music player, no one would use it. luckily, apple can do anything and people will buy it - what other company can make a product that is both more expensive and inferior to their competitor (archos jukebox, what?) and still sell it?

Posted by cosby | May 20, 2008 11:03 AM

explain how itunes is illogical when it comes to comps? it works easily enough for me.

sometimes i think people that moan about itunes are retarded. it's perfectly easy to use and the "site" has tons of indie artists and electronic stuff you usually can't even find in stores.

its easy to upload vinyl to and when you input correct information about titles, albums, tracks and all the other stuff it sorts out very well. i sort dj sets by bpm!

and your music doesn't disappear when you "unsubscribe" a la rhapsody (rip-off-sody as my friends like to say...)

waaah! boo hoo! you have to buy an iphone (ipod, internet, cellphone, palm-pilot in one) or ipod to use itunes. big deal. it all works flawlessly. every time.

and as i said before: no doritos ads.

Posted by terry miller | May 20, 2008 11:47 AM

how can zune keep up when the organizational chart in their office changes twice a day?

Posted by bobcat | May 20, 2008 12:33 PM

iTunes works just fine for me, which 80% of the time is just me recording records with Audacity, and transferring them to my iPod, and occasionally burning mixes for friends who don't really want them.

I'm not a fan of their DRM, so I've maybe bought 3 or 4 albums from their store tops, and the software itself is a bit unstable and drives me a little freakin' nuts, but it's decent enough.

Overall, I'd actually say MusicMatch is a better piece of software, but it doesn't jive with Apple's business model, and I'll probably get by just fine without it.

Posted by Dougsf | May 20, 2008 12:49 PM

I love my zune, its a freakin brick, its been through hell and back and I've never had a problem with it-plus I bought it used off ebay. The software is very very simple to use, not nearly the Nazi regime that was iTunes. I love how the album artwork is the central theme in the software on my computer and on the zune. No matter what people say it IS possible to keep the "shared" songs forever, just take them off the zune and put them back on. Also, you can pimp out your computers music library to all of your friends zunes since the software doesn't care if you have more than one.

Ill never go back to the iPod. Ever.

Posted by shane | May 20, 2008 3:31 PM

#7 i totally agree with you. i fucking love that i can connect to as many computers as i want and just take all my friends music. oh and i also love that i can then dump that music from the zune back onto my machine.

Posted by matty yeswad | May 20, 2008 3:36 PM

Maybe those ads will be a way to get money back to artists and somebody will be singing another tune.

I concur that the Zune is cheap and durable. There is nothing more b.s. than restricting you to one computer.

Posted by left coast | May 20, 2008 6:08 PM

omg! looks like the ms employees are trolling slog again!

Posted by terry miller | May 20, 2008 6:14 PM

I happen to enjoy my Zune. I prefer the M$ "twist" UI and the screen is quite roomy. The inclusion of FM radio is absolutely critical because I listen to NPR at work.

Posted by obamatron | May 21, 2008 12:24 AM

LOL... flytunes on the iPhone/Touch. NPR and hundreds more available.

Posted by slappy | May 22, 2008 8:26 PM