« Show Me Your Tits! | The Weirdest Thing at Sasquatc... »

Monday, May 26, 2008

Overheard at Sasquatch

posted by on May 26 at 18:30 PM

Some random things I heard people saying at ole’ Sassy…

“I just interviewed Robin Pecknold and all my questions were too sarcastic. He’s a really nice guy. Probably too nice.”

fleetfoxes_pipercar06Fleet Foxes photo by Piper Carr

“We came all the way out here for The Scholars and Cancer Rise. They both killed it. You know, I really don’t give a sh*t about the rest of this.”

Sunday-1

cancer.jpgBlue Scholars photo by Christopher Nelson / Cancer Rising by Sean Pecknold

QUESTION: “Is the dude from The Presidents related to Michael Stipe?”

presidents_pipercarr04The Presidents of the United States of America photo by Piper Carr

ANSWER: No. (But he may be related to the dude from The Cure?”)

“Can you buy this band at Urban Outfitters?”

roguewave_pipercarr01Rogue Wave photo by Piper Carr

“THAT was the only band I even danced to…”

Trucka3_Kelly OTruckasaurus photo by Kelly O

“C’mon. Don’t go watch The Kooks, let’s go back to the tent and get mushrooms.”

kooks_pipercarr02The Kooks photo by Piper Carr

“Wait a minute, is that Mike Patton? How many f*cking bands is that guy in?”

CrudoCrudo photo by Christopher Nelson

“I’m actually excited to see Modest Mouse. There, are you happy? I said it.”

modest.jpgphoto by Christopher Nelson

“I give up. I tried three different spots, and still couldn’t see M.I.A. She’s really short and I think she’s wearing all black.”

MIAphoto by Christopher Nelson

“I’m telling you these guys are gonna be huge.”

Dyme DefDyme Def photo by Sean Pecknold

“Ben Gibbard has a giant head now. GIANT.”

Death cabDeath Cab for Cutie photo by Sean Pecknold

“The Cure is the only reason we came. We’ve been out in the car playing cards all day because the rest of today’s lineup kinda sucked.”

Cure1_Kelly OThe Cure photo by Kelly O

brainstorn looks effing victorious

Posted by ndrwmtsn | May 26, 2008 7:22 PM

m

Posted by ndrwmtsn | May 26, 2008 7:22 PM

Which one of you journalists is going to nut up and ask Gibbard how much weight he's lost and why?

Did he go vegan? Commit to exercising? Did the prospect of 18 months of touring and promo work in one of the world's biggest rock bands motivate him to look better?

I'm not saying that's a bad thing at all. Good for him. I'm just curious.

Posted by beefy | May 26, 2008 9:43 PM

was he ever fat? maybe he just got better clothes

Posted by ndrwmtsn | May 27, 2008 12:38 AM

He's still fat. That's just a bad photo.

Posted by crumbum | May 27, 2008 9:03 AM

While that is indeed a bad photo of Ben, he's clearly lost a ton of weight.

Posted by Explorer | May 27, 2008 9:27 AM

Robert Smith looks like Jackie Hell.

Posted by magic alex | May 27, 2008 9:40 AM

No, he was never fat. Just like, I don't know, Tyra Banks isn't fat. But dude *has* lost a good 10 to 20 pounds, I'd guess. It was obvious to me and my gal from a couple hundred feet away.

Like I said, good for him. I'm just curious if the prospect of exposure to millions of people in the coming months influenced the weight loss.

Posted by beefy | May 27, 2008 10:17 AM

Also overheard: "That guy in the blue tent right over there has a HUGE boner. Check it out."

Posted by hey neighbor | May 27, 2008 10:36 AM

@8 - Isaac Brock is the one you should be asking this question about, for reals, the dude looks like he shed several layers of himself.

Gibbard's now-huge-looking head makes it appear he's lost body weight (and he probably has, i dunno). That guys got some serious hair now...and sideburns too!

Andrew, remember when you and Ben Gibbard used to look exactly the same? That was awesome!

Posted by E | May 28, 2008 5:29 PM

@7: No, he looks like the monster neighbor lady from the 1986 "House" and/or Old Gregg from the mighty boosh. and/or the albino from the Princess Bride.

DEAD RINGER.