« The Primate 5 at the Baranoff | The Soul Of German Funk »

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Poll: All You Need is Hatorade

posted by on May 14 at 12:17 PM

emotionfaces.jpgA world stripped of emotion would be a world stripped of song.

Ice-T says, “Hate is an emotion that can take a fool over. When I was younger, I couldn’t control it. Hating caused me to write a majority of my lyrics. Now I can laugh at it.”

The Beatles say, “All you need is love, love, love is all you need.”

Miriam Webster says, “Emotion is the affective aspect of consciousness: feeling. A state of feeling. A conscious mental reaction (as anger or fear).

Mary J. Blige says, “Don’t need no hateration, holleratin in this dance.”

2:30 Update: This poll is lacking a ‘Heartbreak’ choice and I fully realize that. It should be in there. I am sorry. (Thank you TinyMuscles.)

So then:

Which is most likely to lead to good song writing?

Which is most likely to lead to bad song writing?

The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy > all 3 combined

Posted by bobcat | May 14, 2008 1:21 PM

Where's the "heartbreak" option? Hands down makes for the best songwriting. Not in a lame way - in a Motown way.

Posted by TinyMuscles | May 14, 2008 1:26 PM

Damnit. TinyMuscles is right.

Posted by trent moorman | May 14, 2008 2:25 PM

Let's say heartbreak leads to derangement.

Damnit.

Posted by trent moorman | May 14, 2008 2:26 PM

I kinda agree with Tiny Muscles (get your weight up fam). Although I think it varies from genre to genre.

Posted by Theeg Nat | May 14, 2008 3:38 PM

if contentment is the least likely to inspire good songs, doesn't it makes sense that it's most likely to inspire bad songs?

Posted by kdiddy | May 14, 2008 4:36 PM

As a true God-hating heathen, I was going to vote for God as inspiring the worst songs. But then I remembered about Nick Cave and Johnny Cash...

Posted by bunnypuncher | May 14, 2008 10:54 PM

Stevie Wonder had some God in his writing didn't he?

Posted by and | May 14, 2008 11:18 PM

7,8, i agree, i'm not religious, but religion/god has inspired some great music. pedro the lion, low, sufjan stevens, bonnie prince billy, just to name a few of my fav bands.

Posted by kdiddy | May 15, 2008 10:09 AM