« XL to Release Be Your Own Pet'... | Monitor Minotaur: Know What Yo... »

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Quiet, Please

posted by on May 22 at 10:30 AM

I’m writing a little something about the upcoming Radio Slave / Quiet Village show at Nectar on Wednesday, June 4th—it should be a stellar show—so I visit Quiet Village’s website to get some basic information out of the way when I’m confronted by one of my biggest, most enduring internet peeves, one that I can’t even believe still happens on websites that aren’t personal homepages about cats (and myspace, same dif): automatically playing music. Is there anyone who actually appreciates this? Sure, it won’t actively bother the people who have their volume muted (but they won’t hear it, either), but if you’re someone who listens to music on your computer while you browse the internet—you know, the type of person who might be visiting the sites of recording artists—then it’s massively annoying. Even if you might otherwise enjoy the automated music, it inevitably clashes with whatever you’ve, you know, chosen to listen to. Yeah, it only takes a second to find the widget to turn the shit off, but for that moment, you’re aurally violated by some awful chance trainwrecking. Ugh. Shit is sooo 1.0. Quiet Village (and everyone else), please.

[/Andy Rooney]

The humanity! The things a music editor must endure!

It's rough out there kid, keeep your head up.

Posted by Jeff | May 22, 2008 10:50 AM

I spent five minutes discussing this with a certain office manager this very morning!

I hate it with a passion. I keep my volume muted for this specific reason. It's the lastest version of the aggravating pop up ad for me.

Posted by Nay | May 22, 2008 11:16 AM

remind us again why blogs about pet peeves and ipod juxtapositions are better than homepages about cats and myspace profiles (other than the absence of automated music).

same dif?

Posted by shera | May 22, 2008 11:48 AM

i use a plugin called flashmute that allows me to turn off flash based sound files without having to mute the computer entirely. recommended.

Posted by cosby | May 22, 2008 11:57 AM

It doesn't even make any sense to have a flash music player on your band's "regular" web page. Why would anyone pay the money to host and stream that shit when you can do it on myspace and others for free??

Posted by eric w. | May 22, 2008 12:23 PM

ugh I hate this so much. I visited the Myspace Tour page for Justice's latest outing. They started playing a Justice song and a music video for a different Justice song simultaneously at full volume.

Posted by sam | May 22, 2008 1:16 PM

Posted by Sam | May 22, 2008 1:20 PM

Grandy (and all others who seem to agree with him) - LOTS of bands will automatically play a song when you visit their web page. It's pretty normal, dudeski.

The internet is a place where people can do whatever they want, including complaining about bullshit that a) shouldnt surprise them and b) is not a problem in the first place...

Radio Slave? Didnt Rage Against the Machine get back together?

Posted by E | May 22, 2008 3:49 PM

Interesting topic!

Ok, what about MySpace Band pages? I've never known what to do.

Do you think those MySpace band pages should be set NOT to play music?

Posted by trent moorman | May 22, 2008 3:53 PM

Just add Flashblock to your Firefox browser and none of that shit will play unless you actually want it to.

Posted by rk | May 23, 2008 9:59 AM