« DEMF Day One: A Maximum of Min... | "Are We On the Jumbotron?" »

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Sasquatch Saturday: Vince Mira Almost Caused a Riot

posted by on May 25 at 13:04 PM

vincemira.jpg

When I got to the Yeti Stage the Roy Kay Trio were playing to an indifferent crowd. With the sun beaming down, dozens and dozens sat on the lawn in front of the stage, eating pizza, drinking out of mini Heineken cans. After a handful of songs, the band introduced Vince Mira. A baby-faced 15 year-old with a high and tight pomp strapped a guitar over his beaded country button-up. He smiled and coyly said hello. He sounded just like any other boy who couldn’t legally drive. The crowd remained indifferent.

Then he strummed his guitar and started to sing—a booming deep voice leaped from out of his gut. Even thought I expected it, it was still unbelievable. A woman sprung up, his voice scared her off her ass. Another shouted out a shocked “WHAT!?” Then everyone stood up, surged towards the stage and started dancing. Vince Mira sounds just like an adult Johnny Cash. Everyone pulled out their cameras, friends looked at each other with wide eyes and dropped jaws.

They loved his Johnny Cash covers best, but his originals were strong too. He brought out Jimmy Berg of the Bad Things to play accordion on one. While the Roy Kay Trio continued to back him, everyone cheered and danced. They were far from indifferent.

Here’s a video. It’s not the best sound quality, but you can at least tell I’m not making it up. This voice on this boy just doesn’t make sense. It’s awesome.

I saw young Mr. Mira 6 months ago at Can Can, doing his impression of Johnny Cash. Reminded me of Super Diamond. Yawn.

Posted by matt garman | May 25, 2008 2:16 PM

Yeah he was at Neumos for the Circus Contraption cd release show -- that voice coming from that guy IS trippy. I want him to come to all my parties.

Posted by Katelyn | May 25, 2008 4:46 PM

yawn my ass...if vince is a yawn u must hang out with U2. this is no cash nock off. originals are amazing along with original arrangements of cash and others. one of the the most amazing things at sasquatch. over 3000 people simultaneously rushing the stage... with a constant flow of fans until the entire lawn was filled with over 5000 people.

Posted by bangbang | May 27, 2008 9:57 AM

matt, that guy doesn't sound like super diamond!

Posted by lar | May 27, 2008 1:14 PM

whatever Matt! let's see you on stage and have your talents get up to 5,000 persons attention! I smell some inferiority?

Posted by Cheyanne Payne | May 27, 2008 2:08 PM

that was an awesome show everybody just rush the stage it was crazy!!!!!i hope someone puts out more videos of vince at sasquatch

Posted by NOMAD | May 27, 2008 10:59 PM