Line Out: Music & Nightlife

RSS icon Comments on Smith Owes Me Four Songs on Its Jukebox

If you had played an Allman Brothers song, it would have worked.

Ok, maybe that's not why it didn't work. But that's how it is in Atlanta. If you don't pick at least one Allman Bros song, the jukebox won't work.

Eric, there is an Allman Brothers fan deep within your psyche that is screaming to get out.

Posted by trent moorman | May 13, 2008 1:58 PM

The unplumbed depths of my subconscious are a scary place, Trent.

Posted by Eric Grandy | May 13, 2008 2:00 PM

Let us begin in the underground river of the 33 minute "Mountain Jam" off Eat a Peach.

There you will meet Duane Allman as the archetypal 'Wizard'.

Posted by trent moorman | May 13, 2008 2:16 PM

Playing "Mountain Jam" on the $1 download-a-song jukebox is my favorite. I used to do that every time I drank at the Grand in Bellingham.

Posted by Jeff Kirby | May 13, 2008 2:48 PM

I've got this from an inside source at the 'ol Smith...Much like many bars, the staff at the Smith has a "veto button" behind the bar in order to put the kibosh on songs that the bartenders are just plain sick of/not in the mood for, etc. In addition to "the button" , they usually have an i-pod connected to their sound system, and if it is playing, will override your track selections. My dollars don't get into the Smith's jukebox anymore.

Posted by Smith Regular | May 14, 2008 1:50 PM

I stopped putting money in the juke at Linda's after a waitress admitted to me that they skip tracks they don't like all the time, even though the customer has paid to hear them. I would not be surprised if this is a Derschang Business-wide policy.

Posted by Baxter | May 14, 2008 2:00 PM

Charles Mudede made an evil, sinister pact with Linda Derschang which goes thusly: Anyone who fails to pick a Natalie Merchant and/or 10,000 Mainiacs selection on the Smith jukebox will also fail to hear their favorite songs.

A pact is a pact is a pact, especially when it's evil and/or sinister. Sorry!

Posted by Cookie W. Monster | May 16, 2008 11:57 AM