« Statement about the Folklife S... | Show Me Your Tits! »

Monday, May 26, 2008

The Cure… for What?

posted by on May 26 at 16:45 PM

Grandy says the Cure “played forever” and are “exhausting” (true) and Seling says the Cure was boring (also true), but none of these points quite get to it. It’s not that the audience becomes bored with the Cure; it’s that the Cure is so clearly bored with being the Cure. As decked out as they were, they seemed barely conscious. They seemed animatronic. While I was watching them, not very far away, I developed the theory that, since these stage personas were so thin and wasted and junked up with costumes and makeup, they can’t be real—they can’t really be in this much need of a hug. These are fake personas. These are cardboard cutouts. Their true personalities have probably evolved very far from these presented personas, possibly in the entirely opposite direction. Possibly they are people who, when they are not dressed as the Cure, like to horseback ride and have knitting parties and make pizza from scratch.

That, or… um, the Cure? You need to cheer the fuck up. Seriously. Cheer the fuck up. It’s been 30 years. The world has been good to you.

I also think that's why there are such long periods between Cure albums- they're middle-aged, wealthy husbands/fathers. Robert Smith has been married twenty years and lives in a nice house somewhere near Brighton (or so I've heard).

But it's the schtick they have, and it's unlikely the fanbase would be pleased with an album about running errands and doing the garden...

Posted by Abby | May 26, 2008 5:45 PM

I thought they performed very well. The sound and mix was excellent unlike Death Cab who's mix sounded like complete shit from the same spot. that was a bummer. Have you guys ever seen the Cure before? That's their shtick. Worked for me, I enjoyed it. Cheers.

Posted by hungsolo | May 26, 2008 5:53 PM

I'll tell you what is too long...an enormous whozeewhatsit!!!

Posted by Christopher Frizzelle's Enormous Whozeewhatsit | May 26, 2008 6:07 PM

I never was a huge Cure fan. Didn't get it, I suppose, but one thing's for sure in rock - you better age reasonably gracefully in the eyes of your fans or you're out! The Cure, a gimmick band, outlived its usefulness long ago; it's as if The Beatles had stayed together until the '90s and were still calling things gear, fab, and groovy in street Liverpudlian.

It's like Woody Allen playing the intellectual geek well into his 60s. It was funny when he was 35. At 70, it's just sad. Don't believe me? Check out Hollywood Ending.

But then again, what's a one-trick pony to do?

Posted by Bauhaus | May 26, 2008 6:54 PM

not a bad analogy, Bauhaus. They haven't put out anything new and interesting in maybe 10 years I guess. But, I disagree they're a one-trick pony. They've got this stereotype that they're all about "down the avenue, not across the street", that's a few albums, sure. But, they're pretty prolific. Most people blew them off when pop-goth got old, but there's great music and songwriting back behind the hype songs.

They were good musically for what they are and they performed.

Posted by hungsolo | May 26, 2008 7:53 PM

I can completely empathize with both Grandy and Selig; I curled up into a fetal position about 30 minutes into the set and actually lost consciousness (in spite of the 150 decibels or whatever) for about 40 minutes. When I sat back up again, I didn't get the impression I'd missed out on much of anything at all.

Granted, I'd walked all over the grounds several times during the day, and sitting on granite isn't the most comfortable way to spend an evening, and I didn't get much sleep the night before what with the rain, and I'm not really a Cure fan to begin with, and yes, I'm old to boot, but still...

Posted by COMTE | May 26, 2008 10:14 PM

i left after half an hour or so. no "the love cats"

Posted by lar | May 27, 2008 9:31 AM

I can't imagine that a band playing a nearly 3 hour set would be bored with themselves.

It has nothing to do with hair and makeup-- if you'd stayed to the end for the extended encore of "A Forest," you'd have seen that The Cure are most definitely not bored with being The Cure.

Posted by Explorer | May 27, 2008 9:44 AM

cure was best band @ sqautch.

you have terrible taste . go watch hip hop for 12 year old white kids i.e. blue scholars ; if you wanna see fake bubblegum "cheery music"..

then go take a rock history class at a community college; then maybe you would have a little respect for an iconic band;

Posted by Sam | May 27, 2008 1:27 PM

I thought The Cure kicked ass and put a lot of the other bands to shame. They sounded fantastic. One of my weekend highlights.

Posted by Jessica | May 27, 2008 2:05 PM

i loved it! i just wish it was at the key arena. i would have had better seats.

Posted by jake | May 27, 2008 3:36 PM

The Cure have had such a long and successful career that they've damned themselves into a pigeon-hole.

If they break out of character, as with the canny Wild Mood Swings they get slaughtered. And if they continue the gloom, as with everything since, they get written off as has-beens.

Once one of the most important bands on the planet, with more breakups than The Fall, it's too bad it doesn't like they'll ever fight back again.

Posted by Fawkes | May 27, 2008 4:07 PM

I think that they played the best set of the weekend. I didn't know what to expect after so many years - my last time seeing them was in 1992. I grew up and out of it and in the last decade or so have only put on a few songs at a time, and only once in a while, for nostalgia's sake. I never really stopped liking the music or anything, I just didn't really need it any more.

Their performance at Sasquatch really revitalized my affection for them. They performed very well. The sound was stellar, they were tight, rehearsed, engaged and gave us exactly what we wanted and then some. They dug way deep into the archives and delivered all the songs we were hoping for but never dreamed they'd actually play. '10:15 Saturday Night,' anyone?

I have never been one to go in for these reunion/revival tours, and I even remember reading an interview with Smith back in their prime where he specifically said that they, as a band, did not wish to overstay their welcome a la Mick Jagger, but would bow out gracefully and forever and before too long. So I had mixed feelings going in to the whole thing. They did not disappoint.

Yay Cure!!

Posted by revived cure fan | May 28, 2008 12:44 PM

I was really, really, impressed with The Cure.

Simon Gallup is a badass!

I was hoping the whole week leading up their set that they would play "Spider Man" -- and they did!

It was great. It made me realize again why I love them so much.

Posted by E | May 28, 2008 5:50 PM