Line Out: Music & Nightlife

RSS icon Comments on The End of a Brief, Nigh-Inconsequential Era

Probably the least appropriate series of comments to make -- Sally Forth went to ruin what for them, their huge amount of indie cred? The small, tight-knit group of fans that spread their music around on mix tape and word of mouth and hand-drawn flyer? Please. If you didn't see this coming -- if this moment didn't occur for you -- six months ago, you haven't been paying attention.

Note: I'm not a hardcore VW fan, nor was I around at the beginning. But I've at least paid attention enough to know that a comic strip isn't what dragged this band through the "mainstream" or whatever it is you're bemoaning here.

Posted by Nick | May 15, 2008 6:32 PM

Finally! Vampire Weekend sucks. If your shameless devotion for them cannot withstand a comic strip, that in and of itself says quite a bit.

Posted by T.J. | May 15, 2008 7:50 PM

I can't say I've ever intentionally listened to this band, but it's somewhat sad that they've become victims of their own success. If you say "no" to too many things you begin to come off like a jerk to people who are just excited about what you're doing - I'm assuming that's how stuff like the SNL performance and the SPIN cover went down. I would personally be uncomfortable with doing those things if I were them but I also wonder if I'd really say no, and risk losing the chance to do them later, when I would be comfortable doing them. Slippery slope I guess.

Whoever writes Sally Forth is probably just trying to seem cool, like when they'd mention iPods and World of Warcraft in Foxtrot. Is Foxtrot still around?

Also, Vampire Weekend are like the #1 topic of conversation among band dudes in 2008 which is so weird!! Why?!

Posted by Pekknolde | May 15, 2008 8:41 PM

how is anyone going to feel bad for these dudes? they sold loads of records despite having no real originality - that's the indie artist dream. i'm sure somebody in the band's mom will cut this out for them and put it in a scrapbook.

also, do 18 year olds talk about nintendo cheat codes that were found before their birth? way to keep up with the times.

Posted by cosby | May 16, 2008 8:56 AM

I think they forgot "select start," no?

Posted by Levislade | May 16, 2008 11:36 AM

Paul,

You missed a golden opportunity to make a "sick" and/or "epic" joke about Sally Forth sinking her fangs into the collective neck of Vampire Weekend and "sucking" (get it?) all the hipster blood from VW's already-withering flash-in-the-pan corpse.

Oh, well, there's always next year's nine-month hipster frenzy over the debut CD of Satan's Penis.

Vampire Weekend in 2008 = Teenage Fanclub in 1992 = Janitors of Tomorrow. Just sayin'...

Posted by Jeff Stevens | May 16, 2008 11:48 AM