« Second Seattle Posies Show Add... | Stream the New Mates of State ... »

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Today’s Music News

posted by on May 15 at 12:56 PM

I hate the future - Musical instruments pt. 1

I hate the future - Musical instruments pt. 2

I hate cross-marketing - Bad bands and bad food combine forces

I love Seattle… - but sometimes its history makes me sad (Mia Zapata)

I love Seattle’s hardcore scene alumni - Greg Anderson (Brotherhood, Engine Kid) and his two new albums

I love Thor - Lots of news in the Shearwater camp

I could hit a Denny's right now.

Posted by trent moorman | May 15, 2008 1:11 PM

The Tenori-on is actually an instrument that serious musicians have been picking up and using at performances, much like the Korg Kaoss pad. Check the product website out and see that members of Battles, Tortoise, and The Books are just some of it's endorsers.

As for that laser-beam thingie...that's a whole different story.

Posted by Grrr | May 15, 2008 1:12 PM

I'm with Grrr. That Lite Brite-looking thing seems like it could have a lot of potential in the right hands; or be the best toy a little kid has ever had. But that Sharper Image orchestra theremin is beyond jive. I wonder if they're trying to market it towards actual musicians, or just serious looking, middle-aged laptop owners?

Posted by schork | May 15, 2008 1:54 PM

I miss The Gits. I get constantly shocked that Mia Zapata hasn't had a plaque or something dedicated to her. *ALL* women on Capitol Hill should know her story.

Posted by godsactionfigure | May 15, 2008 2:02 PM

i don't know... i've watched the clips on the Tenori-on website with Jim O'Rourke, the dude from The Books, and the dude from Tortoise, and with the possible exception of John (Tortoise), they don't appear to be avid proponents of the product as much as they just seem mildly curious by the shiny new object handed to them. i'll withdraw my hatred comment, but it still seems less like an actual technique-dependent taste-driven instrument and more like some gizmo that makes anyone with fingers immediately appear to possess some sort of musical talent.

Posted by brian cook | May 15, 2008 2:46 PM

i wonder if those sounds are preset into the tenori-on, it has some pretty excellent sounds but it would be a bummer if you were limited to that sound palate. i could see someone freak the hell out of it, but it mostly looks like a stoner toy.

didn't sharper image file for bankruptcy? financial bankruptcy, not idea bankruptcy.

Posted by cosby | May 15, 2008 3:48 PM