« Chop Suey... Sold | Free Drop the Lime Show Tomorr... »

Monday, June 23, 2008

Chop Suey Sold: Update

posted by on June 23 at 13:52 PM

From Chop Suey:

K’s Dream, a nightclub based in Chiba City, Japan, is in the process of acquiring Seattle nightclub Chop Suey. Bookings and staff will remain the same. More info to come as everything becomes solidified.

K’s Dream, Megan Seling informs me, stands for Kurt’s Dream, as in Kurt Cobain (this info comes to her via Kane Hodder).

Chiba City?

Awesome name!

Posted by E | June 23, 2008 1:55 PM

those Japanese love their nirvana.

Posted by something | June 23, 2008 5:18 PM

Breaking news: Stranger writers may be force to cover music off of Capitol Hill.

I am kidding, but seriously what will you guys do when all the hip clubs are in Ballard, Fremont or Georgetown?

Posted by I'm a Nuclear Bomb | June 23, 2008 5:33 PM

We do love Nirvana (not me though).

I moved from Seattle and haven't checked Lineout for a while.

Now Chopsuey is sold to the japanese venue?

The toppage of K's says

"K's dream Seattle branch Chop Suey website coming soon!"

Chiba in Japan is like Philadelphia in the states.
I have never played K's but their schedule tells me it's one of those medium sized "pay to play" venues in Japan....

Posted by Pwrfl Kaz | June 23, 2008 7:33 PM

I currently work at Chop Suey, and you guys probably have just as much info about what's going to happen there as most of the employees do.

Posted by anonymous | June 24, 2008 3:16 AM

i wonder if their going to change the name to something other than chinese food.

Posted by meerkat | June 24, 2008 8:56 AM

For some reason as I thought about this I started imagining a Murakami novel-type scenario where the Seattle location is made into a portal from Seattle to Chiba City. That would be so rad; it would make touring Japan much more affordable.

Posted by Levislade | June 24, 2008 11:32 AM

While un-related to Chop itself, interestingly the Crocodile Cafe's website has a definition for Elitism on it:

1. The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.

2. a. The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class. b. Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class.

Rumor has it the Croc was sold and will eventually re-open as a music venue. Is this a hint? Oooh, mysteries.

Posted by interested | June 24, 2008 12:00 PM

wow, WHO CARES????

Posted by emily | June 24, 2008 1:40 PM

#9- probably people reading this thread, people who like seeing live music, bands wanting to play, Seattle music history buffs, other live music venue owners, any service workers looking for a job.. again, why were you reading this thread?

Posted by curiouser | June 24, 2008 2:36 PM

A Japanese group owning a Chinese themed bar named after an American dish? Boy, this should turn out well.

Posted by bobcat | June 24, 2008 4:22 PM

Support local music, support locally owned clubs.

Posted by I'm a Nuclear Bomb | June 24, 2008 5:07 PM