« Word of the Day: Elitism | Mad Rad at Chop Suey »

Monday, June 23, 2008

Himsa is Breaking Up

posted by on June 23 at 12:27 PM

himsa.jpg

Bassist Derek Harn:

“After 10+ years, four releases, countless tours and almost incomprehensible (yet constant) upheaval, the last three years of the band have been relatively stable. Having sacrificed everything we had in order to ensure the band’s survival it’s time to let it go. We made a great CD (Summon in Thunder/Century Media); reportedly, our best. We’ve got a great label. We’re getting along, we’ve toured and we’re fine. It’s all good. We’re leaving it at that. A relatively unremarkable closing to HIMSA’s gi-normously dramatic career, there appears to be no acrimony or unpleasantness, simply the end of a blistering, phenomenal, tumultuous era of the metal that HIMSA permeated into the modern musical landscape. References have been made to the band’s evolving difficulties with the relentless touring schedules that have been the hallmark of Himsa’s career. If we can’t tour, and our reality is we can’t tour as we have in the past, then it’s not Himsa. Better to hang it up than fade away.”

“Unleash Carnage”

One time when my friend Carrie was 15 she made cookies for Himsa with her blood in them, and they ate them, stoked. Himsa will play their final show on August 16th at El Corazon.

Good. ITs about time these idiots walked away. Maybe that cock sucker Pettibone will give up and move away. Wow. Great news!

Posted by boo fucking hoo | June 23, 2008 1:05 PM

You're a fool. In the sea of musical mediocrity that is Seattle, HIMSA was a rare case of talented energy with a distinct and brutal sound. They will be sorely missed by anyone who isn't an indie-rock loving pole smoker.

Posted by Seattle Crime Blogger | June 23, 2008 2:45 PM

#1: If only Pettibone could just leap from a stage and attack you like he did that one time a kid dared to goof on him at an OFH show. That was a very cool move. Like Josh Homme cool.

Posted by Eric Grandy | June 23, 2008 3:48 PM

Good band, even better people. They've provided Seattle with some of the most fun, energetic shows I've been to over the years and offered a sound that set them apart from everything else going on around here.

I'll miss them but wish each of them the best having normal lives not being touring machines...

Posted by me | June 23, 2008 5:38 PM

yeah, #1... weird, where did that come from?

Himsa seems to be about as universally respected and nice a band as there can be in a music scene full of snarky backbiters. I guess you're the exception that proves the rule on this one...

I picture some failure dude with a "Himsa breakup" google alert going so you can *someday someday PLEASE* be the one to make that comment first. Your life is now complete.

Posted by Postum | June 23, 2008 6:21 PM

Boo hoo, my friend got roughed up at a hardcore show!

Boo hoo, I'm holding a grudge against John Pettibone because he frisked me extra hard when he was working a door somewhere!

Get real. These guys, and ESPECIALLY John Pettibone, have done more for the local hardcore and metal scenes than almost anyone else I can think of. And while I'm not a rabid fan of their music, I will be at their last show to pay respect to a bunch of really good guys, have some good times with some people I probably haven't seen since the old Paradox days.... and to see WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM!

Posted by bunnypuncher | June 24, 2008 1:28 AM

Impressive run, fellas. Pats on the back, all around.

Posted by Boo | June 24, 2008 9:55 AM

Pettibone beat up a kid because he didn't like the dance he was doing. That's just fucking retarded, hardcore scene cred or not. Sorry.

Posted by Eric Grandy | June 24, 2008 12:11 PM

It's been pretty established on this blog that you're not into hardcore, Eric, so I really have a hard time taking your comment at face value. Sorry.

Posted by bunnypuncher | June 25, 2008 4:35 AM

That's a red herring, bunnypuncher, and I think you're smart enough to know it. Whether I like Himsa's music or not, it's still incredibly lame to physically attack a kid because he had the gall to do a silly dance at your show.

Posted by Eric Grandy | June 25, 2008 9:18 AM