Line Out: Music & Nightlife

RSS icon Comments on Hommephobia

I can't defend him and I don't know what was going through his mind when it happened, but when he started QOTSA he said he picked the name to keep the "meathead/homophobe" crowd away.

Posted by bunnypuncher | June 16, 2008 8:19 PM

Sadly, he is well known for acting like a fratboy douchebag between songs and throwing various homophobic comments at hecklers. That doesn't necessarily mean he's an actual homophobe, he's probably just not very imaginative when it comes to insults.

And it certainly doesn't meant QOTSA doesn't completely rock, which they do, despite your ridiculous, ignorant dismissal of them.

Posted by Levislade | June 17, 2008 8:32 AM

Wait.. Levislade, so you agree he regularly throws out homophobic comments at hugely attended shows to probably highly impressionable people and that's okay?

It might be rock and roll, but Screwdriver is also metal right?

Posted by Rocking with Levi | June 17, 2008 10:00 AM

I didn't say it was OK. To be frank, I think it's lame that he does this. I wish he would stop. If you think it will help, I will write him a letter asking him to be more imaginative and less homophobic in his dealings with hecklers.

I said his band still rocks, and they're certainly not founded and fueled on hate-filled b.s. a la Skrewdriver, so it's not really an apt comparison.

Many people who do many wonderful things as artists say and do many stupid and wrong things while they're not playing their songs or making their art. Doesn't make it OK, but for me it doesn't affect the art.

Posted by Levislade | June 17, 2008 10:28 AM

That's a valid point Levi. But you can't fault Erik for his "ridiculously ignorant dismissal". Even if Josh Homme doesn't have an inkling of gay hate in his body, his choice-insults are undoubtedly taken by some (which in many cases are crowds of thousands) as totally cool and acceptable.

Screwdriver was a stretch, I admit ;)

Posted by Still Rockin' with Levi (not against) | June 17, 2008 11:57 AM

I'm pretty sure "ridiculously ignorant dismissal" refers to this line:

"then he says the name of that one song his band does, the one you gave a shit about for maybe a minute and a half some years ago."

Uh... as far as I can tell, QOTSA is still a pretty big and popular band, rather than a flash in the pan one hit wonder.

Posted by rockandrolla | June 17, 2008 12:50 PM

They just bore the shit out of me. I don't believe popularity = merit. The time for giving a shit about QOTSA has passed; fratboy antics like this should just seal the deal.

Posted by Eric Grandy | June 17, 2008 12:58 PM

The fact that they are so big kind of just pushes the argument further:

Someone playing to audiences that big and bands who are considered popular shouldn't be saying things like that, especially to impressionable people... Right?

Posted by Kind of sick of rockin now... | June 17, 2008 1:25 PM

I saw Josh Homme kick a guy out of a show for hitting a woman, but that didn't make it on YouTube. When I have the flu I am a little short with people too, and so are you all. It's okay that Eric doesn't like QOTSA, because everyone's music taste is different. For example I think most of the music Eric Grandy likes is horrible, but he is still allowed to like it. I even think Fucking in the streets is a horrible name for a DJ and a column, but the name sticks. Isn't America great.

Posted by Eric Grandy defender | June 17, 2008 1:35 PM

But there's a difference between not liking a band and a music editor saying about a big rock band that they are only known for one song that people "gave a shit about for maybe a minute and a half some years ago."

I hate the homophobia and don't like the band, but I didn't understand that comment. It's pretty naive to think just because you don't like a band that they aren't popular.

Posted by rockandrolla | June 17, 2008 4:58 PM