Line Out: Music & Nightlife

RSS icon Comments on I Got 99 Problems But Oasis Ain't One

When hacks collide.

Seriously, Oasis gets to have their name in the news again, Jay-Z gets to appear "controversial" and whip up ticket sales. It's a win-win. Their publicists probably arranged for them to be frenemies.

Posted by flamingbanjo | June 29, 2008 7:07 PM

wow, #1, what a bunch of paranoid double-think. way to see through the matrix.

here's your comeback: "i'm a REALIST!"

Posted by ndrwmtsn | June 29, 2008 7:23 PM

i fucking love this.

Posted by Thig Natty Ice | June 29, 2008 9:56 PM

#2: Yeah, but I was smiling when I typed it.

Posted by flamingbanjo | June 30, 2008 12:57 AM

"frenemies" great. new hipster jargon. eat twat

Posted by dicky johnson | June 30, 2008 2:47 AM

Didn't Rakim use the word "frenemies" in one of his rhymes back in the day?

Posted by Grrr | June 30, 2008 9:08 AM
Alternatively, two people who are apparently enemies may actually be friends in private, with the apparently hostile relationship portrayed in order to deceive or for other forms of gain. Such an arrangement may even be used to cover up a secret relationship between the two parties. Or, the two people might actually like and hate each other simultaneously.

I learned it from an LA friend who works in the television industry. She used it to refer to things like Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton's 'feuds' which help to generate publicity for them. As ndrwmtsn points out on his blog, Jay-Z almost certainly paid a licensing fee to perform the song, so money must've changed hands at some point.

But I was really just bullshitting. While I do think that pop music promotion has more in common with pro wrestling than most fans would care to admit (by the way, did you hear Amy Winehouse slugged somebody in the crowd?), but I have no way of knowing that this incident was anything more than what it appeared: Noel Gallagher saying something douchey in order to get atttention and Jay-Z telling him to go fuck himself and, in the process, captalizing on the free publicity generated by Gallagher's comments.

Anyway, thanks to Jay-Z's song here, I learned a new word for "woman." Awesome!

Posted by flamingbanjo | June 30, 2008 9:30 AM

Jay-Z might have gotten the last laugh if ticket sales had been up, but the festival closed with still-unsold tickets.

Posted by Dougsf | June 30, 2008 5:21 PM