Line Out: Music & Nightlife

RSS icon Comments on Man and his Cymbals

Gongs, Clogs and Pyro. More is more.

Posted by Pico D. | June 3, 2008 3:05 PM

All due respect Pico D, but 'more' is most often less... Same symbology applies to drums, guitar pedals, and bandanas tied to your mic stand... The more you have, the less likely you are to be a bad ass. Not sayin' it doesn't LOOK bad ass --- I love me some shiny brass as much as the next guy. But it's the rare song that needs that many shades of metal.

Posted by yep | June 3, 2008 3:35 PM

My only peeve is against splashes. 1, ok, if you need the splash, you need A splash, not 3 like the Staind dude.

Posted by Spoooon Man | June 3, 2008 3:48 PM

I'm more a gong man. I hate splashes but I have 3 gongs. Haaaahaaaa!

Posted by Spoooon Man | June 3, 2008 3:50 PM

and I forgot, my drum set spins upside down. I'm still a minimalist though.

Posted by Spoooon Man | June 3, 2008 3:53 PM

Listening to the new Akimbo song posted makes me REALLY doubt that you need a ton of cymbals to be tough. Dude sure as hell does NOT need any fourth fucking crash cymbal.

Posted by eric w. | June 3, 2008 4:02 PM

If your kit flips upside down you are beyond tough. You are recockulous tough and you have a reality show where you go back to college.

Posted by trent moorman | June 3, 2008 4:33 PM

All the best drummers I know play very minimal sets (Nat Damm included).

Also, coming from someone who used to be in a band with a drummer with too many cymbals, FUCK THAT SHIT. Carrying multiple stacks of cymbals (and saw blades, etc.) was a serious fucking pain in the ass.

Posted by bunnypuncher | June 3, 2008 7:05 PM

Good post, good point. I f'ing HATE cymbal-madness-stravaganza. Plus, how do these guys afford so many cymbals? I can barely afford to replace mine, even at a discount.

Posted by jon e. rock | June 4, 2008 8:09 AM

There is a very special place in hell for the manufacturer of the China Crash and anyone who uses it.

Posted by Jeff | June 4, 2008 9:37 AM