Line Out: Music & Nightlife

RSS icon Comments on Muscle Memory

True. I would say muscle memory applies to the whole band. When watching live misic it's pretty easy to see who has spent more time in front of a mirror than in the dank confines of the jam space.

Posted by Jeff | June 24, 2008 12:19 PM

My right bicep sent me a postcard last week. It said, 'why did you have to put a drumstick in your hand? why couldn't it have been a dentistry tool, or a law book? thanks for the memories.'

Posted by drummer 647 | June 24, 2008 12:45 PM

The best practicing I've done has been letting myself just slam random drums at random intervals. Moonesque spurts of pounding that paid no attention to rhythm or timing. Once I could do that and make it sound good, it became a lot easier to throw fills into weird places and come out on the beat.

Posted by paulus | June 24, 2008 1:05 PM

The comments here have the makings of an Onion article title. "Drummer responds to article about how hard it is to stick a fill." Let's see if any non-drumma responds by end of day. If they do, I guarantee it will be a bass playa.

Posted by jon e. rock | June 24, 2008 2:20 PM

Bass player here.

I love that Nietzsche quote Oliver Sacks uses in his new book: "We listen to music with our muscles."

Posted by Chris Estey | June 24, 2008 2:38 PM

Nicely done.

I really love how the motor system is put together. Layers upon layers of reflexes.

Mostly, the brain's job is to selectively shut down reflex loops in the spinal cord that actually make things happen. Hence, if you have a disease of the upper motor neurons-ALS, MS, heroin, alcoholism--you eventually become hyper reflexive.

Posted by Jonathan Golob | June 24, 2008 2:44 PM

Love this.

I hear them, but they suck. From now on I will let them suck.

Posted by E | June 24, 2008 4:27 PM

I don't know if I can bird watch less though.

Posted by E | June 24, 2008 4:29 PM

something intelligent and interesting on lineout? written by a musician? and a drummer? so most of the writers on lineout are dumber than... drummers?

there is nothing worse than a bad drummer except a good drummer who has gone bad.

practice.

Posted by john | June 24, 2008 5:27 PM

Its true you really can tell which ones put in the time and which dont. And drummers... PLEASE remember to practice in all 12 keys. Starting with ba-doom pschtt of course.

Posted by C | June 24, 2008 7:29 PM

I want to hear some of that Thursday night!

(And rumor has it Friday as well - ?)

: )

Posted by Chris Estey | June 24, 2008 9:08 PM

Another winner Trent.. This seems an appropriate moment to shout out to all the parents/siblings/roommates who have endured the reverberations of the drummer's imperfect isolation. We may think no one can hear us in our drum caves, but really, what teen has perfect sound dampening? My poor sister, her bedroom directly above my basement drum set (which was of course a 10-piece monument to my obsession with Rush), is the patron saint of every solid beat I've managed the throw down.

Posted by Rick | June 25, 2008 9:44 AM

Agreed. I would like to apologize to all the sisters and brothers out there, and neighbors and parents and friends. I had a Rush Monument too. Given, it was jimmy-rigged with masking tape, but to me, that was the drumworld. Roto toms are a rite of passage.

Posted by trent moorman | June 25, 2008 11:09 AM

@7 & 8...

ahem, get a new blog name...there are 25 other letters to choose from. thanks.

Posted by E for reals | June 25, 2008 5:41 PM