« Russian Circles, Daughters, an... | Hustlers Of Life Never Survive »

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Rock and Roll Doesn’t Age Everyone

posted by on June 10 at 14:35 PM

A friend brought this to my attention today: Keith Strickland from the B-52s is going to be 55 years old in October. But on the band’s new Funplex art, he looks like he’s in his 20s.

That’s Strickland on the right:

b52scover.jpg

The whole band looks pretty damn good, but Strickland looks like someone’s little brother, like the token young guy hired to bring some youth to the band for their resurrection. But he was born in 1953. I couldn’t believe it either—it cost me $5.

For a little context, this guy is a year younger that Strickland.

I don't know. I saw them on Regis for about 30 seconds the other day, and the red-haired one was doing a "grandma, don't do that, you're embarrassing me" dance.

Posted by gini | June 10, 2008 2:53 PM

It doesn't really take much to be less rock and roll than David Lee Roth.

Posted by Ari Spool | June 10, 2008 3:01 PM

I'll reserve judgment until I see a live photo and not an album cover. Digital imaging is a wonder these days.

Posted by Brian | June 10, 2008 3:38 PM

I can make anyone look 20 in Photoshop given a half hour, some beer and the healing brush / clone tool.

Posted by bobcat | June 10, 2008 3:56 PM

actually, i saw them live couple of months ago, and they really do look that good, especially strickland. their new album is surprisingly solid too.

@1 they've been doing uncool dances since the early 80's, guy. maybe if they wore american apparel v-necks you'd like 'em.

three cheers for hot chicks in their 50's! (i include fred in that cheer too, cause he is a crazy ol' queen)

Posted by mark d | June 10, 2008 6:20 PM

Keith really does look amazing and incredibly young for his age. They all do!

Some recent live photos:

Posted by Explorer | June 11, 2008 11:01 AM

@5: I am a 35 year old woman, and I myself look and dance like an uncool grandmother. It was a joke.

Posted by gini | June 11, 2008 11:49 AM

Strickland is really the brains behind the band going from guitars to drums and writing most of the material. It comes back to awareness the B-52's I'm sure did their share of intoxicants for a while but I bet they let that go post cosmic thang pretty quickly.
It's always time for some southern fried fun
52's style.