Line Out: Music & Nightlife

RSS icon Comments on Songs for Moms

I got my mom that Just A Little Lovin' CD by Shelby Lynne for mother's day. I thought that maybe because it's a bunch of Dusty Springfield covers, she'd be cool with it. I asked her about it over the phone later on. Bottom line, her response could be summed up to "Meh!"

I'm sure a lot of us feel your pain with parents and new music.

Posted by Grrr | June 13, 2008 1:37 PM

I had a couple holiday seasons where I was just burning CD-Rs for my family. I don't think any of them really took.

Posted by Eric Grandy | June 13, 2008 1:53 PM

I make mix cds for my mom almost every holiday. Luckily she has awesome taste in music. My latest mix even included a Blood Brothers track. I'm going to guess that most moms aren't as open minded, so I'd suggest trying to find new music that is similar to the music she already likes. Or, just get her a Pig Destroyer CD, that should go over well...

Posted by C. | June 13, 2008 2:02 PM

Last year I got my mom a pink iPod shuffle for Mom's day, and filled it full of awesome stuff. Now at the holidays I just send her an Mp3 disc to copy over to the ipod, and she has a fresh round of music to appreciate.

She's a mom, so her tastes aren't mind blowing, but she likes the stuff I choose.

Posted by Tom C. | June 13, 2008 2:27 PM

Aw, this is a great idea! My mom, somewhat surprisingly, seems to have taken a shining to Shearwater. And she LOVES Billy Joel (and Elton John). I haven't played Jens Lekman for her, but I bet most piano-pop-loving moms would like him (esp. "Friday Night at the Drive-In Bingo")? She's also super-into Dave Matthews Band right now.

Posted by Sara | June 13, 2008 2:44 PM

Aside from soft '70s music, the last artist I recall my mom getting turned on to was Edie Brickell. Based off the idea that anything I select should also potentially be appropriate to play at Starbucks, I've had some minor successes getting music for my mom w/ a Nick Drake boxset and burning her a bunch of Bill Evans records.

Posted by christopher hong | June 13, 2008 4:14 PM

My mom really likes Iceage Cobra, if that helps.

Posted by Brittney Bollay | June 13, 2008 4:36 PM

My mom likes The Muffs.

I played some for her on a long car ride once and she totally dug it.

She's awesome.

Posted by me too | June 14, 2008 12:48 AM

moms love mirah until they get to the explicit lesbian sex songs.

Posted by Kevin | June 14, 2008 6:38 PM

you could put on some slightly-obscure cat stevens, all mom's dig on that guy.

like maybe "mona bone jakon" and then your mom could groove to it and think about her high-school boyfriend and how they had hot make-out sessions to that album.

Posted by rosemary | June 18, 2008 1:05 AM